Who wants in on the crazy cheap corals?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by mikejrice, Nov 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't expect the corals to open and be bright as soon as I take them out of the bags but I do expect them to be in the same color range.
    I got a brown zoa that was suppose to be purple and green.
    The very small comment was about a mushroom. The listing said 1 mushroom but it didn't say anythign about size. the mushroom that was sent is about half the size of a zoa polyp. I guess I just expected it to be a reasonable size.

2. Click Here!

3. secretaznbo1

secretaznbo1 Astrea Snail

wow... that sounds kind of dissapointing Meagan, did you get some kind of refund? Well IMO pictures should never be photoshopped unless intended for other purpose besides selling.

4. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

One of the zoa colonies didn't make the transit and yes they did readily refund it.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I'm going to go over to his shop tomorrow afternoon to look into some of these pics and other concerns. I'll try to get some pics of my own to post so we can compare.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It's cyano on the frag plug. You can also see some on the egg crate behind it. If you zoom in with photoshop you also cannot detect any fade out from the frag plug area that would suggest a color shift. He shoots his photos under 20k halides which will make cyano pop out pretty well.

On this one there is also no detectable fade out of color away from the plug area. Just the nice blue cast of 20k halides.

He's been experimenting with color temperature for coloring up corals lately and has found that the deeper blue lighting will color up most zoas better than the more common 15k range. I have most of his corals sitting under my 15k and I agree with him. There is a world of difference.

(Switching to a 20k bulb soon:))

7. secretaznbo1

secretaznbo1 Astrea Snail

sorry for the confusiong but im not bashing the seller, i may have a bias point of view on this because i prefer dealing locally. I had bad experience in the past so this is why im sceptical about photos. I've also had eperience with photoshop and it looks like the pics were adjusted using the hue/saturation of the color spectrum, it was just my two cents.

8. Click Here!

9. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

sounds like someone is getting free frags for all the hype. I would never buy one of those corals. Plus selling frags with a cyano outbreak on the plug :-/:-/

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

If I got a frag with cyano on the plug I would be pretty angry. That's no excuse and poor husbandry of the frag tank.

However, everyone has to start somewhere, hopefully he gets his stuff together.