Who uses wave makers

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Barbarossa, Apr 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What kind of wave maker do you use?

1. SCWD

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Maxi Jet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ocean Pulse

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Wave Master

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Hydor controller

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. VorTech

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  7. other

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  8. I don't use a wave maker

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

2x MP40W anti-synch Lagoon mode. At lowest setting it's still a lot of flow in a 58g tank.

My only two complaints are that

1. I cannot turn them all the way off without loosing programed settings (night mode, motor detachment, master/slave setting, etc). It makes it hard to take really good macro shots with a small aperture.

2. You essentially have 2 planes of flow: side to side and back to front. There's no way to aim them at or away from a target colony. It would be nice to have adjustable louvers on the main grille.

But they offer great flow rates, don't heat up my tank, look nice, and offer more out-of-the-box function of anything else in the price range.

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Maybe you've already heard about this but just in case, the new controllers have an on/off button. I'm not sure if these settings are saved or not though now, might be worth looking into though. I don't use any of those features so it doesn't matter to me.

I don't think it should be losing the motor detachment calibration though, I've power cycled mine a million times and not had an issue with it, unless you have a different version than I do, or a different firmware version etc.

4. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I have a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro on my 29gal. Works great, no issues. If you would like a pretty inexpensive wave maker just use X10 plugins & have the X10 controller programmed to turn then on & off as needed.

When I finish my 90gal it will be computer controlled.

5. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

If you'll swap out my controllers for the new ones I'll pay shipping....

every time I unplug mine I have to reset everything, it looses it's entire profile.

I'll see if there's a new firmware... don't know which mine has.

I'm considering adding a switch to the pump power cord... seems like it wouldn't be too hard to find the right wire and splice a good switch into it.

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Well I use Neptune's Apex controlling two Hydor Evo 1400's. Close enough to a wavemaker.

7. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

Would a wave maker be overkill in a 14" cube???