who uses....this is like a poll wanna hear from u

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nemo79, Sep 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I use a skimmer, however I don't use it all the time. When dosing or feeding, the skimmer will shut off for a few hours then go on again as I have it on a timer. Also with the large clams that I have in my tank I want to have some phosphates and nitrates in my water for nutritional supplementation for my Clams(Tridacna Squamosa, Tridacna Crocea).
    I use to use a Fluval 304 as added water movement and as a reservoir to house Carbon or any other media I wanted to. So it was a pretty versatile piece of equipment at the time. However, after having to clean the cannister filter and having excess phosphates and nitrates, I eliminated it.
    I did purchase a phosphate reactor though which I use from time to time to run carbon and phosphate remover but it isn't as bulky and as difficult or time consuming to clean.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I do not recommend a mandarin for your tank. The only people that I know that have had long term success with this fish are people who run a refugium. It's very rare that you can get these fish to eat frozen mysis shrimp and they will quickly wipe out the pod population in your tank and subsequently starve to death.

4. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

I use a skimmer and a fuge and have had large accidents from HOB accessories, personaly I will never use any thing that is HOB ever again

5. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

What Kind Of Accidents Have You Encountered?

6. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

just a skimmer here as well

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I hate anything that is considered HOB it will either leak or overflow at some point.. It's the Law anything that was dsigned to hold or contain water will leak ..at some point.

8. Click Here!

9. imagine7070

imagine7070 Flamingo Tongue

I have both. An AquaC Remora and a Penguin 200 with the biowheel removed. Both HOB.

I think I'm too scared to run just the protein skimmer especially since I have to clean/replace the Penguin filter every week. All that gook/stuff that the Penguin filter traps makes me a little nervous about taking it out. I would love to have less equipment, but not sure if my Remora would clean the tank enough since my goby seems to stir up the sand and debris quite a bit. :-/

10. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

I use none. just a waste of electricty. once your tank is cycled, it pretty much is an established enviroment. i do have a little more algea then most. nothing a little tlc on the weekends wont take care of.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I only have a Skimmer.

J

12. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Skimmer Only also.