Who says mantis are mean, dangerous animals!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by schackmel, May 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

.... I did know they "could" be aggressive... but forget that :eek:

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yeah, they have the power of a .22 caliber pistol in their smasher. I dont put anything like an emerald crab to feed Bob....I mainly feed him krill, silversides and shark food squares. But couple times a month I do have to feed him live snails (turbo snails) to keep his smashers from atrophying, which can be hard to watch if you think too much about it. When my nephew comes over the first thing he wants to see is me feeding Bob a snail. The nieces dont understand why I am putting something in there that I know will get ate.....I get lectured on how all animals, including snails deserve the right to live, and how I purchased that snail and I am responsible for its well being....By the time they are done I feel like a little pion that just killed their best friend! I am proud of them for thinking that deep....but they dont understand the whole process. My nephew on the other hand just likes to see the snail get smashed!

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

thats what uncles are for. teach kids about things out of the ordinary. lol

5. cira050

cira050 Torch Coral

6. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

I believe in thsi case it is that is what "aunts" are for.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yep! I am the crazy aunt with all the fishes ;D::)

8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

well now, im 3 for 3 in gettin genders wrong. and its gone both ways . i apologize schack.

10. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

My mom doesn't understand "live feeding" either. All i can do is explain that I am attempting to recreate nature, and predatory animals would be doing that in the wild. keeping them in captivity is worse IMHO. It is NOT similar to dog fighting or the like, as that is just a cruel exploitation of ingrained violent tendencies in dogs.

11. rewris

rewris Skunk Shrimp

Mantis shrimp have to be one of the ugliest, most disgusting looking things that could be in a tank, obviously, in my opinion.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've kept mantis for over a decade now and they are lot more interesting than fish.