Who runs reactors in series?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Ryan Duchatel, Mar 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Hey guys,

I currently have two phosban 150's. One running NPX biopellets and one running GFO.

I have been having some problems with the GFO clumping and not flowing well, and the the NPX biopellets have areas of that are stagnant????.

I have had a think and its most likely a flow issue, with them being powered by very small pumps.

To combat this I am going to buy a bigger pump (Hydor Seltz 20), but as well as this, I am going to plumb them together, what do you reckon? I have seen a few videos on youtube that have done it and I think it looks quite good.

It will also save me another powerpoint :).

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I do it...works perfectly

4. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

That would be fine, just make sure you T them off before the reactors input and add valves to adjust flow

5. ClownAquatics

ClownAquatics 3reef Sponsor

I would not put them in a series. I agree with Devin. Pellets require a different amount of flow than GFO does.

GFO IMO should have a light tumble, while Pellets should have more of a harsher tumble. So either you will have too much or too little. There is a possibility of having the Pellets first which will lower the flow into the GFO.

But a Tee with a couple of valves will solve it all!

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid