Who really test there water and why?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by kenny951, May 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

I only really test nitrate alk and cal. Even then only every 2 weeks just to make sure my dosing is on schedual and the im not overfeeding. I only test po4 when is see algea just to make sure.

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I always test before and after a water change and anytime im having a issue. So that is why im interested in buy a controller to make things easier to check and consistent monitoring.

4. sodium

sodium Astrea Snail

I pretty much agree with u, the only test kit i own is a Nitrate kit and of coarse test the salinity for water changes.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

for me , it would depend on what I was keeping

from testing on tanks in the past, I now feel confident, that a tank containing soft corals and LPS, can be maintained with regular water changes using a decent quality salt mix

on my tank with mostly SPS, Im still testing Calcium and Alkalinity, every week
    the corals are developing and as such like others on this thread, I do need to adjust my dosing every so often to compensate for increased demand

Magnesium - I recently stopped testing this weekly , demand is low, has remained low throughout increased demand for Ca and Alk, thus I am happy with my dosing routine for mag at present, and test once every 4 weeks just to ensure its still on track

I used to test Phosphate - I still have the test kit, but cannot recall last time I used it on main tank - I just accept I have phosphate and run GFO and change it monthly

Nitrate - I check that once every month or at times in between if something does not look right

ammonia and Nitrite - again , I would only test something looked off

Steve

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I tested regularly when my tank was new to me to know what was going on. Once I knew things were not changing I never tested. The only things I regularly tested was Calcium and Alk and salinity. I tested those weekly. Mg every now and then. Phosphates were the same and then finally stopped testing. Nitrates every few months but they only told me what I knew... zero.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I agree. It's nice to have a consistent baseline. Sometimes parameters can very slowly creep into undesirable levels. If you are routinely dosing any product and you have a ball park idea as to your tanks utilization you do not have to test as often. But on more than one occasion I have noticed stressed corals, tested after not doing so for a couple of weeks and OOOOPs my alk climbed too far up or my magnesium too far down and low and behold my pH is not stable.