Who needs water?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by omard, May 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

How do you find these things Scott? ;D

I used to go to IMAC's and MACNA's with FragExchange.com and teach people how to frag various corals. I have also given demonstrations to various reef clubs. One of the most common questions is, "Aren't you going to hurt that coral by having it out of the water?" This video shows that they are a lot more resilient than people think.

Karma to you for finding this and many other interesting links that you've put up.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Coral: animal, vegetable and mineral
    This is pretty interesting!!!! The point that many corals can live out of water for a period of time due to their secreting a mucus film!!!I want to add another point that isn't mentioned here in the article, and that is, that these corals have developed color pigment in their tips which aids in their protection from the sun's UV rays and intense heat/light. These chloryphyll pigments act like sunscreen that we use to help us from the sun's damaging rays.
    Cool article!!!

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

That is how most international exporters ship the corals and many other animals .. Dry packed just damp wrapped in plastic and bagged with a few drops of water. Fish come in in enough water to keep them from cracking LOL.

I don't no how many times I have heard that a Linkia can't be exposed to air.. All I ever owned was as where sponges . I had some branchs of our corals out of water and high and dry all day yesterday .

People just read or hear some stuff and take it from there like wet hens not really Knowing if its true of not from experiences..

I unpacked a box of fish a few weeks ago that came in from Vietnam and it had about 1 gallon of water total for about 20 bags of medium sized fish of different types..

Dick Perrin started to dry pack corals here in the U.S in very little to no water at all and that was 15 yrs ago.

I sent a large box of different corals and clams and all where dry packed about a quart of water total in 30 bags

Water is heavy :)

6. flipnap

flipnap Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

LOL, nice.. he got shot by a pistol shrimp. So he was joking right, about sticking coral in his suitcase, you arent allowed to do that are you?