Who killed my cleaner shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Thunderstruck, Jul 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. w000p

w000p Astrea Snail

Mantis shrimp perhaps? LoL I just went through removing one from mine...

2. Click Here!

3. nanocube1

nanocube1 Plankton

i have an overly aggressive maroon clown that attacked and killed a cleaner shrimp the very day i brought the shrimp home. my girlfriend found the body in the morning floating at the top of the tank stuck in our surface skimmer. so i would check filters and tubing if you still can't find him

4. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck Plankton

Good news, my girlfriend and I were doing a water change after placing medication into the tank for a sick damsel (we decided to isolate him rather than medicate the whole tank again) We decided to clean the fake coral rock. I had her place it vertically in tank so I could clean out the crevices underneath with a siphen when who's head should come popping out of a small hole under the rock. Don't know how he squeezed under there as that hole is usually completely covered by sand, or how he managed to live in a dark cramped space for over three weeks. He looks kinda beat up but otherwise he's moving around alot. Seems happy to be out of there. Eating just fine...but I wonder if he ate from the molt for three weeks...

Anyway..he's back. ;D

Thought you'd all like to know. Thank you all for the responses.

5. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

I had the same thing that happened to you, with the exception that I found my peppermint shrimp headless. I have to agree with omard's statement, when the shrimp molts anything can take advantage of them, I have 2 suspects...one is already dead which was my first ocellaris clown, he wouldn't eat nothing that I fed him, but yet he lived 16 days in my tank. And the other is my neon damsel, pesty little critter! btw what kind of damsel do you have???

6. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

I'm hoping my Cleaner Shrimp is molting and not dead.

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck Plankton

Well actually we HAD a 4 stripe damsel but he didn't quite make it. :cry: We now have a lemonpeel angel in his place.

8. Click Here!

9. cheetum

cheetum Plankton

I've Lost Three To a murderous Coral banded shrimp I want revenge so bad. I could taste it! But I'll most likely take it back to the LFS. Would give it to someone but I'd feel bad if it started to hunt in tank !

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Let me know how you catch yours will ya?