Who has built a 20 gal long sump??....I have a few questions

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ladwpwrkr, Oct 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MyBoyGus

MyBoyGus Flamingo Tongue

I did a 20G long for my sump. You run out of room quick. Goal is to make fuge as big as possible, return as small as possible, and leave enough room for skimmer and heater. Then you have to make sure you have room for drains.

I did same config as you plan (sump/return/fuge). I like it. I just added a BRS Phosphate reactor. Fortunatly I had enough room for the pump in the sump.

[​IMG]

Old picture from when I first installed it. I have changed the drain into sump. I also took out the 1" pipe from the "T" to the drains and replaced it with 2" pipe. Really slowed down the water and reduced the bubbles considerably.

PS: An auto top-off is a must. I had to top off twice a day before I installed a JBJ Auto Top-Off.

Good luck, and have fun!

2. Click Here!

3. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i will try and get enough motivation to get off the couch here in a minute to take some measurments. but i think my sump is a very close match to what you are talking about.

i followed the plan someone already mentioned. kept the fuge section as large as possible by leavin just enough room in the retun and skimmer sections.

one thing i did to save some space is just used 2 baffles for the bubble trap instead of the standard 3. i had some bubbles get by unitill i turned my skimmer around so the exhaust was on the opposite side, but now have no bubble issues, and m fuge is i inch wider cause of it.

i have just enough room in my return for the quite one 4400, heater, and 2 maxijets for my reactors.