who has a canister filter? which ones are good?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by crystal, Mar 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

i have a aqua pro 4 canister filter on my 40 gallon saltwater tank but it is second hand so sometime this year i will get a new canister filter.

what models are good for a 40 gallon they must sell it in the uk

p.s i dont want a sump before anyone says :)

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Not being from the UK I don't know of any other brand other than Jebo and stay away from those imo. Google canister filters and find dealers there, pick a few you think are good and post those for opinions would be your best bet.
    If you plan on a reef build I would only run carbon and gfo in a canister and still clean it every week. I found mine to be a nitrate factory and changed over to a sump.

4. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

well i was thinking about getting the fluval 405 canister
    i wont be keeping a reef tank just a fowlr tank

5. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

You could look into Ehiem filters. I used to use them on my freshwater tanks and never had any problems with them. i still use one on my reef tank occasionally when I use fill it with carbon and use it to "polish" my water.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Canister for FOWLR is fine but you'll still need to maintain it regularly to keep nitrates in check. My future fowlr will use the cf I took off my reef. I personally dont have experience with fluval but have read good reviews. If you can get an Ehiem Pro they are good imo and better quality. hope this helps at least a little.

7. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Im running a fluval 305 on my 55 reef. I like it. I do clean it out every other weekend. No problems with nitrates.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

i had a fluvial and it was ok, it got really nasty and I just threw it out, but I never had and issues with it beside having a reef tank andit not being nessicary

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I had Fluval and Eheim and both have been removed from my tanks. I was too lazy to clean them out weekly, and they became nitrate producing factories. I did notice a ton of amphipods growing in my Fluval though. That was a nice thing.