Who had the longest cycle here

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Dingo, Jun 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

about two month w\mollies in tank

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

1 week cycle, BioSpira and live rock. It works. Use it.

4. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

So are you talking how long it took for the nitrogen cycle to complete or how long we actually waited before adding life stock to the tanks, regardless if the tank was ready before the placement of animals? my discription is it took that amount of time for the Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Phosphates to disappear.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

My current tank cycled for 2 months light free even though I showed 0 nitrite after a week (I used the reefrock stuff that is clean and cycled and Dr. Tims). I did this because my lights were on back order though, not by choice! I added a few fish periodically. My blue/green chromis went in during this time.

My Fowlr at the dealership took over 6 months because I used dirty uncycled maricultured live rock.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

:eek::eek::eek:You took "Go slow, Let it grow" to a whole new level.:eek::eek::eek:

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Two months. Everyone waited at least two months back then. The rock was so stinky it would take that long to burn through the excessive die off from travels. Newer hobbyist missed the days of walking into an LFS when they would receive a new large shipment. Sometimes it would almost make you gag. I miss that rock.

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

6 weeks (by choice) before I added my first fish. 10-12 weeks before I did any stoney corals, but only LPS at that time frame.

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I'm going on 3 weeks for my 10g tank cycle. Ammonia is still 0.5. I used new sand seeded it with 1cup of sand from my 29 and about 5lbs of live rock from my 29.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Using all dry rock and substrate, with a piece of dead fish and lights on 14 hours per day, my tank took 5 weeks. At 3 weeks, the ammonia and nitrite were zero and GHA took over. At the end of the 5th week, all the algae was gone.

FWIW, extended cycles only work if you keep the bacteria fed. Otherwise, it will die and your tank will be sterile again. :)

12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Well my first tank is still running. I think it has been about 11 years (Oh, or did you just mean the initial ammonia cycle ;) )