White worm like growth + GHA?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by InlineTwin, Mar 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. InlineTwin

InlineTwin Plankton

My tank has quickly grown GHA and started to grow these whitish tube like things. Anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it? I've been changing the water to get rid of the algae but how to get rid of these tubes?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Why are you changing water to get rid of algae? Water changes never eradicate algae. You haven't provided any info about the tank. Excess nutrients and light are the major players in algae growth. It appears to be Bryopsis, a real stubborn algae. The tubes appear to be Vermitid Snails. Does a web come from them? Give more info about the tank i.e. how long it has been up, what type of bulbs are you using and how old are they.

4. InlineTwin

InlineTwin Plankton

Yes there is a stringy web. Are they harmful? I didn't provide tank info because I was looking for an answer to what the tubes are. But, if you want to advise about the green algae I have a 55gal tank with 3 - 14000K 40watt fluorescent tubes they are 3 months old and 30 watts of 470nm LED's, which are on always. The tank has been running for 1 year. The green algae is new within the past few weeks, but is very prolific.

Contents of the tank are LR, Blue damsel, large hermit crab, small hermit crab, snails (not real sure how many) I feed the fish once a day with frozen food only what can be consumed in a few minutes. (which is very little)

I run a sump with skimmer, phosphate reactor, and some kind of green macroalgae. It gets light at night powered by a 6500K 75 watt CFL. And the main tank lights are on from 8a-6p and the sump light is on 8p-6a.

5. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

Sounds like a decent setup but barely stocked after a year. Have you had some fish die or just never had any more?

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I don't think it is wise to keep actinic on in the main display 24/7. I have read actinic can cause algae in certain circumstances. You must understand that bulbs lose their spectrum when they are old and since you are keeping them on 24/7 you will only get a "half life" or less out of them.
    The Vermitid are not harmfull, just the unsightly web. Good flow takes care of that though.

7. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hes using blue LEDs not typical actinic "bulbs"

+1 on the flow

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Those may be even more of a concern.