White trash?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Magnus, Jan 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I want a pic!!!! embarrased or not ;D

I have never used a sump or refugium, so I can't help in this area. Good luck!

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Ok, I'll gather the courage and will post one late tonight when not a lot of people are watching ;)

- Mag.

Edit: typos.. as usual ;)

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Ok, so here are some pics. Also, I got a pulsing xenia that died in a matter of 2 days. It's still in there since I've heard they can recover, but I don't know how much to push this.... it looks like a definite goner.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the almost dead or probably pretty dead pulsing xenia:
    [​IMG]

I had it in there for 4 days and that's what happened. Should I take it out of the tank? There's 2 pieces on the rock, the left piece seem a little better than the right one. But they both shrunk to a fraction of what they were. You can actually see something green looking on "trunk" of the one on the right. It's almost like if it was rotting :cry:

- Mag.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

there really isn't any reason to take it out... even if it did die. (EDIT: I am referring to the xenia)

You'll know when it's dead though. It will literally disappear. Melt away to nothing.

That's a lot of rock! I know I rearranged mine many times before I settled with something. About 16 months into it, I completely redid the aquascape again.

Have fun with it. Try different things.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Magnus

amazing difference
    the before picture had echos of freshwater set ups
    the after picture shows a commitment to a reef tank IMHO
    looks great and more importantly , you now have a much better source of biological filtration

Steve

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Sure thing. I've been playing and moving stuff here and there every time I feed them and It doesn't bother me anymore. Everyone in the tank is very happy to have so many places to play and explore with. I'm ordering a cleaning crew either today or monday, to keep everything clean.
    Xenia will be staying until disintegrated then.

Thanks, Steve. I'll keep playing with it until I can get some nice design. This hobby is dangerous. I'm not even done with this tank or building the sump, but I already feel this tank will be too small for me. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Sump/fuge design.

Hello guys, I've finally finished browsing my sump options online and found this 20 gal. tall design that I think may work with my tank:

[​IMG]

Any ideas to make it better/more efficient? I don't know what skimmer I want to install in there, but it would definitely have to be an in-sump skimmer. I also have a 10 gallon tank that I wanted to use as my QT tank, but I'm willing to sacrifice it for the benefit of my sump if necessary.

I think my fish still have ICH and I'm looking for a natural medicine, since I have inverts in there. I heard garlic is good for that. Any opinions?

Thanks for your input, friends. I'll check back in a little bit.

- Mag.

10. steve wright

Hi Magnus

the sponge and bioball combination would not be my preffered method
    the sponge will need regular cleaning to prevent build up of waste becoming a source of future nitrate issues
    same case is often made for bio balls

as you now have plenty of rockwork in main tank, the need for biological capability provided by bio balls is no longer a requirement for you IMO
    You can place that workload on the sand bed and macro algae in your fuge

if you do want mechanical filtration in there, IMO a filter sock on the end of the pipe from DT to sump is a more convenient method and nobody should forget to wash their socks (LOL)

garlic is not so much a cure as an appetite stimulator as fish that eat well, stay healthy and can fight of the parasite themselves and build up immunity to further infestation

Steve

1 person likes this.
  11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

As a side note, I was able to up my Mg to 1050. I know I'm still a little far from what I need it, but will keep adding epsom salts to slowly raise it.

My current readings are:

Salinity: 1.025/6
    pH: 8.4
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Mg: 1050
    Calcium: 340
    Alk/Carbon hardness: not sure about this one I tested with Salifert test kit and after pouring the whole 1 ml of reagent, the sample would still not change color. So I left it alone for now. Any ideas?

I can't wait to have the sump/fuge built. Now I need to research about the piping and all the water flow. Is there some sort of guide out there so I don't overflow any of the tanks?

- Magnus.

12. steve wright

http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/skimmer-sump-pump-build-75982.html

here is a good guide, with lots of photos on setting up a sump
    filter socks included in this set up

the sponge is good for reducing noise and preventing bubbles IME but the sock will do the same job also

there are reef safe meds for parasites on the market, but I cant vouch for the effectiveness of them as I prefer to let nature take its course whilst encouraging fish to get better using Garlic enhanced foods in mild cases