White trash?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Magnus, Jan 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Hello guys, I'm a new reefer wannabe. I recently setup my 55 gal and I've been adding the recommended amount of Reef Code A + B, but I've noticed there's some white stuff precipitating on everything on my tank. I'm assuming this is the excess calcium?

Is there anything I can do about this?

Latest readings were as follows:
    CA is oscillating between 260 and 300
    Mg 930
    pH 8.3
    Amonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5.0

I'm still to do any water change since I've had this tank set up for about 5 weeks (this sunday) and was told WC'ing would be bad right now since my levels are reading fine, except CA and Mg.
    Also I was told not to vacuum the gravel yet until the 2nd month not to harm the good bacteria that's still being formed in there.

FYI, I have an under gravel filter with 2 maxi-jet 600 setup. I know this is bad, but I had no idea about the existence of sumps/fuge when my brother in law helped me set up this tank. I will upgrade at some point after I find another job (laid off for lack of work) and have some more money to spend.

Any advice to help me improve my fishes's stay? Inexpensive ones would be greatly appreciated.

- Magnus.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

What is your alkalinity or dKH?

4. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

I would take out the under-gravel filter, and bump up your Mg if you have corals... Or plan on getting any.

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

what is reef code a + b? not familiar with them.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Magnus

1stly the white stuff is calcium precipitation - and the reason for that is your mag level
    you need at least 3 ions of magnesium to support each ion of calcium so with a mag level of 930 - 300 is the max your calc can get to

also you dont mention your SG , as this also has a bearing on how many ions the water can contain

if its a new tank, some of the parameters dont stabilise for a few weeks, so provided you set up the correct SG , you should not be making any adjustments yet IMO

UG filters, as you now know , they are not a very efficient means of filtering your intended reef tank , and as there is nothing in there yet now is the time to strip it out IMHO

The basic biological filtration for a reef tank is the rock we put in there bacteria colonise this rock and the sand bed (and every surface in your tank actually)

a cost effective solution

aim to have 1/3rd of your tanks volume in rock work or 1.5 lb per gallon of rock (base or live as base becomes live after a period in your tank)

remove the UG - and use the power heads to move that water about so that nutrient enriched water is always being delivered to the rock - you might want/ need to add additional flow when you get corals in there eventually

if you dont have a sump, then in the tank just leave have a couple of cm depth of sand after you have taken out the UG

hope the above helps

Steve

1 person likes this.
  7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Here's my setup pic: [​IMG]

The lights are "Wave Point T5 MO" 2 white light 2 uv? it's supposed to be a good light but unfortunately, because of my newbieness, they don't have switches to turn them on or off independently. So.. all on, or all off unless easy modding could be done.

And here is the white "snow":
    [​IMG]

I need to buy that test kit, my friend. I thought I had the basic ones. I do have a free water test coupon from my LFS, I'll have them test my dKH Monday and let you know.

Yes, I want to take it down, but that's all I have for now until I get more moolah :)
    I bought yesterday "Kent marine Tech M Magnesium) 16 fl oz bottle and I just dosed 10 ml today for the first time. As an impatient newbie, I did stick corals in there. 1 I bought the frag, the other ones came on the LR

Here's some pics of them, I would love if you can ID them for me too, since I only know the one I bought is called "Green hammer coral"

Here are the pics:
    Green hammer coral:
    [​IMG]
    This are cool and they look like a flower field, to the left of that, there's what looks like a hard purple Coral and below there's some purple mushrooms, I don't know the names for any of these:
    [​IMG]
    This one is a xenia (non pulsating one) I think:
    [​IMG]

It's a 2 part product or buffer by Brightwell Aquatics Brightwell Aquatics that helps balance calcium and alkalinity.

Steve, thanks for your reply. I'll read this, analyze it and will more than likely follow your advice. I didn't know I could just take the trays out and leave the power heads moving the water.

I also have a Koralia 4 pushing some water there.

Live stock:

1 Lemonpeel Angel
    1 Bicolor Baslett?
    2 Tomato clown fish
    1 Cleaner shrimp
    1 Coral banded shrimp
    5 blue leg crabs
    5 red leg crabs
    4 snails.

Thank you SO MUCH for all the help. This place is awesome!!!

I'll probably will build my own fuge/sump in the near future.

- Magnus.

8. Click Here!

9. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Be very cautious with any liquid magnesium supplement. They can contain high amounts of ammonia. Actually, you can use Epsom salt, it's cheaper and you can buy it in bulk :)

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

steve's advise is spot on. I agree with each point he made.

the under gravel filter... I'm not sure why you say you need more moolah to pull it out? :-/ You don't need to replace it with anything... just remove it. It will be much harder later. Also, what will happen is detritus will accumulate under it and cause nitrates.

As you get more money I would put that money into some dead dry base rock. You don't have very much rock in there right now. The dry base rock is equally as effective as expensive live rock for fraction of the cost. This is your primary means of filtering the water. I have about 100 lbs in my 55 gallon as a reference point.

Does your light have two plugs? Or just one plug and one switch? If it has two plugs, you can plug them into separate timers ($8 each at Walgreens).

Your tank seems a bit heavily stocked for it being so young and for the filtration being below par for now.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'm weary of liquid supplements too. EpsoM ;) salts are like 2 bucks for a box at Walgreens. It is Mg.

12. RustyShakleford

RustyShakleford Feather Duster

i dont think thats a xenia it looks like a anthelia coral to me