white things on the glass and rocks

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by billrwilson, Jun 3, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

ok here is what i got these little white calcium things that are like little tube worm things the size of a pin head all over my glass and live rocks i thought the were baby fether duster things but the dont have any fethers and they are to small to see if there is any kind of head sticking out they are in tiny swirl shap. will anything eat them like say a manderin fish?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Do they look like this? If so they may be baby feather dusters. .......................... John

[​IMG]

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

This is from http://www.aquariumpros.com/faqpro/pests_1.shtml

I have noticed a build-up of what looks like tiny pieces of salt along the walls of my aquarium. On closer inspection the pieces are actually small spirals that appear to be hollow with tiny bristles near the open ends. What are these?

Those are baby hard tube-worm feather dusters. They are naturally occurring, harmless filter feeders that eventually show up in almost all reef tanks. You can scrape them off the front and sides of the tank with an algae scraper, but let them grow in the back. They get larger and beautiful when they get older, and help filter the water. They have beautiful calcium-based shells which form complex spirals and curves, and appreciate a calcium level of about 400ppm, with some strontium and magnesium added periodically. Some hard tube-worms can live for hundreds of years. The only problem they cause is that they also will grow inside pumps, where their shells can damage impellors, so pumps should be cleaned periodically to remove them, but you should be doing that anyway.

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya i have a bunch i love them, they looks so cool when they get bigger

6. MitzyZ28

MitzyZ28 Plankton

i got hundreds of these things all over my tank! i hope they are feather dusters!

7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

8. Click Here!

9. rewris

rewris Skunk Shrimp

I have tons and tons of feather dusters growing. They are tiny right now, can't wait till they get large enough for their beauty to start showing. :D

I think it's a good sign that my tank is on it's way to success. I've found baby shrimp in my canister filter, a sea cockroach, bristle worms as well.

10. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Uh this is a 4 year old post!

11. rewris

rewris Skunk Shrimp

LOL!!!!!!!!

I didn't even see that!~