white spots

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by zzzzzzzzpr, Oct 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

it sems my red sea sailfin and 1 of my rabbitfish get white spots on them like ick. i have a cleaner wrasse that eats the white spots off of them should i be conserd? i dont plan on putting an uv sera in my tank cause im working on a drangte. nonoe of the others are scraping like they have ick so im just wondering what could this be?

2. Click Here!

3. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

To hard to say. If its only a few spots then I'd say your fish are healthy and they are beating it themselves. An outbreak of Ich, you would know for sure, it starts out slow, then one morning, the fish is covered.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The cleaner wrasse does not eat the parasite, he does provide some relief to the symptomatic fish. The parasite is embedded too far into the tissue and gills. If this is an issue that keeps showing up I suspect it is marine ich, with the fish more likely to symptomatic like tangs and rabbit fish not able to adequately keep it at bay.
    A UV filter seems like a prudent move if this is a chronic problem, a good weapon but not a cure.
    Improving their diet, avoiding over crowding and decline in water parameters will go along ways in decreasing future out breaks. Avoid stress.

1 person likes this.
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

What size tank is it?:confused: You say one of your rabbitfish has it do you have more then one?:confused:

6. zzzzzzzzpr

i have a 55g ref tank almost to the max of fish. what is funny is that it hasnt shown up in a week or so since my thread. i do have a blue tang as well ( dorry ) for the nemo fans and it hasnt got any on it. i do have only 1 rabbit fish. a couple of days ago i saw my cleaner wasse eating the white spots off the 2 fish. so who knows?

7. Vinnyboombatz

Almost to the max? Are you serious?I forsee alot of ich in your future.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Do you realise a sailfin tang reaches over a foot in length and needs at least a 180 gallon tank?Your rabbitfish needs at least a 70 gallon tank and your blue will grow to a foot long and shouldn't be in anything smaller then a 180. Add these three fish together in a 55 and what will follow is Stress, Disease , and finally Death.:cry::cry::cry:

8. Click Here!

9. zzzzzzzzpr

LOL! at tax time ill be looking for a 200g+ tank :).

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You have at least 3 threads with question regarding white spots on your fish over a pretty long period of time. This is happening because you have over stocked your system.

You can post an image and others may be able to assist you.

11. zzzzzzzzpr

i did post in show off your tank. i did get rid of 5 fish a few days ago nothing much $5 fish. my tank has change since then by looks and planning on changing again in a few days when i get my sump up and running. i have lots of corals id prob shouldnt of bought since im new but i liked them and got them cheap lesser from the lfs by 85% or more. i can take pics and so them tommorow since the lights are out and my lobster is feeding.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Not sure why thats funny. Did I miss something?