White spots (snail eggs?)

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by sykes_33, Oct 5, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

+1 on feather duster, very common hitchhiker.

2. Click Here!

3. sykes_33

sykes_33 Astrea Snail

WHOA, those are huge.. LOL I don't have them on the rocks (YET). But ya those are them but a tad smaller. I don't reconize the first snail in my tank but I have been buying turbo snails recently and I still have a straggler or two of the type of snails you buy in bulk.. Something like 10 snails or crabs for $15 at the pet store. The store usually has a million of them in a 20 gallon tank. LOL. Either way I am glad we found the answer. Snail eggs and they don't hurt nothing.

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

sykes LOL no they are very tiny I just did close up with the camera LOL:laughings :laughings :lol:

5. cuttingras

I like the nerites better than turbo's turbo's fall will fall over and die. these guys never seem to let go of what they're on and you see how they eat the burgundy... ad the cerith and nassiurus(spelling?0 are good too they flip themselves over and it's fun to watch!

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

"...One of the most common questions I get asked in my “Ask Dr. Ron” forum on Reef Central is, “What are these white spots on the walls of my aquarium?” Such questions often include a photo or two of a small circular or oval structure often containing one or several small white dots. My reply is that these are snail egg capsules. In aquaria, they are typically deposited by female Nassarius snails as well the females of a few other species. That is, of course, the short answer. In reality these capsules form a part of the snail’s life history that is really fascinating..."

FYI

Scott

7. sykes_33

sykes_33 Astrea Snail

good info.. well they hatch adn will I save on buying snails in the future.. LOL

8. Click Here!

9. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

+2 that they are feather dusters

10. cuttingras

SAW I had a feather duster years ago and haven't had one in my tank since. Only since the addition of the nerite snails have I seen these dots. They never hatch. If these were feather dusters and they are supposed to hatch, I'd be overrun with f.d.'s, but I have none....I'm sticking with Nerite snail eggs.......:)

11. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

The featherdusters I'm talking about are very small. On the glass, a rock, or a turbo snail's shell they look like a white curlicue smaller than a grain of rice.

12. MILLERTIME

MILLERTIME Feather Duster

yeah mine are a small spiral shape and hard to take off glass