White spots on Achilles Tang

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Big Red, Sep 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I really think it's marine velvet.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If it is marine velvet you need to start treatment ASAP, as you have other fish in the QT. If it were my fish I would treat with cupramine. You will need the medication, copper test kit. If the fish are currently in hyposalinity treatment you will need to bring up the SG to normal as well. You may already know this but copper is toxic to marine inverts.

Marine velvet tends to show on the main body but not fins, where as ich will be visable on all areas. But again copper is an effective treatment for both.

4. Big Red

Big Red Plankton

Thank you for your help. At least he is still eating.

I took a quick video. Maybe you can view him better.

Attached Files:

5. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Poor little guy.. Beautiful fish though!! Good thing with the QT tank, where did you get him or her??

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Marine Velvet looks like it sounds, it appears as a dusting of sorts.

As others posted marine velvet kills quickly and the fish is usually exhibiting sign like difficult breathing, not eating.

Marine Velvet/Amyloodinium ocellatum: A Discussion of this Disease and its Available Treatment Options - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Fish Diseases and Parasites

Both of the links are excellent, the key is to make sure you are treating the right disease and honestly I can not tell from the video. This flaking appearence you mentioned in the first post is concerning and I see something on the fish, but what I am not sure.

That is a beautiful fish, I hope he does well. Thank you for putting forth the effort with the videos and pictures.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

great reads.. K+