white spot on clams mantel

Discussion in 'Clams' started by leighton1245, Sep 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

what would cause a white spot on the clams mantel? light bulbs are brand new (2 weeks old) 2x250w MH and T5HO.

PH 8.0
    S.G. 1.0255
    Alk 8-9 range
    Ca 360
    Nitrates 0ppm
    Phosphates 0ppm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the views i can get of my clam.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Photo damage from the new bulbs would be my guess. Did you acclimate the tank to the new bulbs?

4. MRK82

MRK82 Astrea Snail

Is it not just pods, worms or eggs? as you can probably tell....I’m new to this. I get white spots all over my tank from time to time. They are fast moving so I think their pods some look like little translucent sacks with a white rim?
    Sorry to hijack your thread!!

5. leighton1245

My MH are only on for 4hrs right now next week they got to 5hrs a day. So it could be photo damage the clam was pretty bad cause of lack of light with my other fixture just not enough watts

6. leighton1245

there actually is some snail eggs on there (good eye :) ) but the mantel is the colorful part :) if you look at the first picture you can see where its all purplish blue then toward the back its pure white. Pods are translucent and you can see them sometimes normally at night every once in a while i get a big one floating around the tank then my sleeper head goby eats it lol

7. DocBattysReef

DocBattysReef Plankton

I have had crocea burrow themselves in the live rock. They didn't receive as much light this way and some parts of the mantel turned white and the parts that were colored weren't very vibrant. After breaking down the tank they were in and exposing them to intense lighting again the white parts disappeared and the colors intensified. I say give it more light and be patient. You should raise your Calcium above 400 as well.

8. Click Here!

9. leighton1245

Thank you for the help :), I think the reason why coralline said it could be photoburn is because I just recently went from 192w of total light to 796w so the light be to much to fast i should have started with 2hr a day instead of 4hrs let me see if i can find pictures of what it looked like under the other lighting.

10. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

I would guess photo shock too...even though you've cut the photo period back the light is much more intense. A better option would probably have been to add layers of screen between the light and the tank and remove one layer at a time to acclimate to the new light. I wouldn't get overly concerned at this point...the clam appears healthy otherwise and one little spot should not hurt it...just keep a close eye on it and maybe leave your light schedule were it is for a few more days.

11. leighton1245

I was going to leave it where it is for another week just to make sure. I didnt even think about screens I would like to get another clam a tan colored one,ultra maxima or samosa i think is what they are called.

12. leighton1245

I moved the clam yesterday and today when i came home from work the spot is gone and the mantel is completely colored up. I think it was to high in my tank for the new lights.