White Purple tip Anemone

Discussion in 'Coral' started by kerry2009, Jun 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

actually a clown hosting a condy is very bad, over time the sting will kill them because they are not used to it in nature because condys are from the atlantic whereas clowns in pacific

2. Click Here!

3. estr5160

estr5160 Plankton

i have had my aquarium for almost 2 years and i the person who sold it to me told me it was OK to have just not to have coral and he is a marine biologist for 18 years hes helped me a lot with all my stuff i have bought all my stuff from him because he gives it to me for a good price! and hes not here right now so there no way i can ask him but thanks for the help.. and you say it will eat my fish :( also he has more than one of the purple tipped anemone and he has the same clowns he sold me and they love it he told me my clowns should host it

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

it is common knowledge anemones cant be in a tank thats less than a year old, only a few exceptions to that. also in the long run it is unhealthy for clowns to be in that anemone. the anemones sting is unlike the normal clown hosting anemones, it is more potent. i would consider going to a different lfs, he can be a marine biologist but that doesnt mean he has great knowledge on reefkeeping

5. estr5160

estr5160 Plankton

Thanks, well this morning i woke up and i think it is dead because it detached from the rock and is upside down on its tentacles and hasn't moved since i woke up. about 3 hours ago well it open just a tad bit but i think its dead

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I'm sorry, but it is not common knowledge that an anemone should not be housed in a tank that is less than a year old. If it was, I wouldn't have to tell people that at my LFS. Never assume something is known by everyone. You would be amazed by how little people know when it comes to stuff every reefer should know.

7. estr5160

estr5160 Plankton

like i said i have had for more than a year maybe about 1 and 5 months its almost 2 years i only have had live rock and sand and my fish and everything was fine and i added the anemone and i have never added one and it was doing fine and now its all shrined up on the floor but its not melting or anything it still responds when u touch its tentacles barley. it has been like that since this morning and they told me i have enough lighting and i have an extra one to thats on the back of my tank but please give me hints of what a dead anemone would look like and what i need o and i fed it shrimp but idk if it ate it yesterday some peaces of the shrimp are still there but some aren't thanks hope you guys can help

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would start by testing all parameters, check to make sure you do not have a rise in ammonia. It uneaten food has been left in the tank it could be decaying and causing serious issues.

Please list all parameters.
    Lighting.
    And an image of the anemone if possible.

10. estr5160

estr5160 Plankton

everything is good
    no ammonia
    no nitrites
    no nitrates
    gravity 1.26
    temperature 80-82
    i there is no uneaten food
    i have a lighting that is good for corals and i have another thats on the side pointing down thats a T5 something 300 watts
    the anemone got just shrunk up but its still not like it was yesterday... the picture its on the first page of the posts at the very bottom with purple tips
    also it fell off the rock and its just on the sand im going to go buy stuff for it if you can please tell me what to get thanks

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i mean anyone that has done extensive research on anemones, which anyone planning on keeping an anemone should. do not get an anemone before researching every tiny detail about them