white growth on side of clown near the gill flap

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Dr. Bergeron, May 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

When I got home from work today i noticed a white growth around the clownfish's gills. For anyone that's familiar, this clownfish is the same one that had the parasite on it's tail. I noticed it scratching the other day on a rock on that same side but there was not anything there.

I've tried to get a picture but this is the best that I can do since those silly fish won't stop moving around.

Any ideas? I tried to identify it but it's too hard to tell. It seems more fuzzy than not. since posting this picture it's since fallen off. Perhaps it was just some detritus? Unsure at this time but I'm hoping it's not some parasite eggs etc. I do have a skunk cleaner in the tank, but because the clowns are tank raised they seem to want no part of a cleaning from it.

since the clown is scratching on it's gills should I give it some sort of dip? Formalin or FW?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

My male clown seems to get something similar from time to time. A FW dip - 3 minutes - seems to clear things up, but it's not an actual "cure" because it comes back.

From my research I seem to be dealing with some kind of fluke or worm. When I dip the worm crawls out, spasms and dies.

I have tried straight formalin, QuickCure, and FlukeTabs, none do anything more than what the FW does on its own.

FWIW whatever my male clown has doesn't seem to spread to the other fish in the tank. It doesn't irritate him either, never seen him scratch or rub it. It disappears within 3 or 4 days, comes back once every couple months.

Good luck, and if you can get a better picture I could tell you with more certainty if it's what I'm dealing with.

-Doug

1 person likes this.
  4. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

ugh I looked at him again today and they're back... 3 spots this time. I think a QT is deff in order this time... something to work on this week I guess.

5. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

I've been fighting something similar with a tang. A few white bumps appear, then go away in a few weeks and then some more will appear. I've tried multiple meds and hypo and they still keep appearing and going away. Other fish don't seem to be catching it and the tang acts normal. I'm leaning towards lymphocytosis which is a virus. No cure other than to let it run its course.

6. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks Greysoul, glad to know it's nothing too serious. I'll keep my eye on him and if it comes back, I'll try and get a better picture. As long as the clown is eating normally and active I'm not going to worry.