White fluffy stuff on fish - not sure what it is

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Dave_S, Aug 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dave_S

Dave_S Plankton

Two of the monos in my aquarium have frayed fins. They also have white growth on them. One of them has cloudy eyes (I may be imagining that though).

I also have white worms that are thin growing on the glass. They are curled up into circles.

I don't know if the two are related. I tried to take pictures but I was unable to get one showing the white growth.

I quarantine my fish for 3 weeks prior to introducing them into the DT. For that reason I don't think its ich, but it could be.

Any ideas what this could be? I introduced my last fish into the tank two or three weeks ago. He is showing no signs of sickness.

PH - 8.4
    Nitrate -20
    Ammonia - 0
    nitrite - ?
    SG - 1.024

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well for what you are telling me, it could be a sign of a fungus.Do They look like patches of mold that you get on vegetables if they are left in the refrigerator too long or fur on the fish??.

Im not sure what treatment there is for fungus, but im sure someone on here might give you an idea, if my guess is right.

or it could be that your fish is stressed, im not sure about the worms, you said you have.

4. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

The worms you see are probably just that, tube worms, harmless filter feeders, sometimes they're snail eggs. Unfortunately, ich cycle runs up to eight weeks. Three weeks may not have been long enough in QT to see the signs if it is in fact ich. If you think it is, keeping the tank fallow (fishless) for eight weeks and treating fish in QT should break the cycle. Keep checking here and researching, the sooner you treat, the better, but it's key to figure out what you're treating first. Hang in there!

5. Dave_S

Dave_S Plankton

I don't think it is Ich. I brought pictures of the fish to my LFS and they said it is likely tail rot. They suggested treating all of the fish in the tank (just in case it has spread). They sold me a treatment called "ich attack" that is supposed to be a wide range antibacterial / anti fungus. I have been treating with it since Friday. I'm thinking I should also feed a medicated foo. I'm not sure what to use. I'm going to run by the LFS store tomorrow and see what they have. The other issue is that one of the fish has developed pop-eye. I'm thinking that it is a secondary infection, but I still need to treat it.

I lost one of the mono's this morning. a second seems sick. I'm hopeing he will make it. If he doesn't hopefully the meds will prevent it from developing or spreading to any other fish.

The thaught is that this is from stress. We had a power outage and my bacterial filter bust have crashed causing the tank to re-cycle. I don't have a protein skimmer, but I am looking into getting one. Do you think it woudl have helped with this?

6. Dave_S

Dave_S Plankton

I lost the two monos. Nothing else seems to have gotten sick. Now what? Do I continue with the same treatment (ich attack) or do I need to do something else? Is there a way to treat the food? I'm thinking of slacking in formalyn, but I'm not sure it's the correct medicine. I am also worried about overdosing.