white dots on blue hippo tang

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mazaj, Oct 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

im a noob so i donno if i should post this in noob section. i noticed white dots on the blue hippo tang, i was feeding him some nori on a clip and i did the mistake of keeping them overnight. till i read here the post about it. but i think the damage has been done and he is starting to hide more than usual and any movement in the house make him run back to his cave. anything i can do to make him recover?
    thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  4. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

thanks ill start reading and ill take a pic tonight or tomorrow, i just have to sit still next to the aquarium till he goes out.

5. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

ok guys, i was thinking what to do concerning this problem. in fact the most valuable thing in my tank right now is the hippo tang and the 2 maroon clowns. the live rock that i got i donno how live they are, i got them with the hippo tang from craigslist. i have a brittle star and couple pf snails.
    i was thinking of moving the invertebrates and some sand and couple of rocks out to another tank and use my main as hospital (to do the hypo-salinity treatment) . i donno if i will leave any live rocks there probably i will get some dry rocks and add them after the treatment shows some success. i will probably seed the base rocks with some new live rocks.
    please let me know what you think, i want to have a clean start and i think it is the right time to do it since my tank has been running only for 2 months now.

6. Corailline

Sounds like an excellent plan. You are going to have to treat the display in the long run if you want the ich eradicated.

You make an excellent point about doing it now while you have few inverts to move and no corals. It may be a huge hassel now but down the line you may regret not doing it.

1 person likes this.
  7. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

here are some pics. if i remove some sand and put it back after the tank is clean of itch will the disease come back with the sand? what about live rock?
    thanks a lot for the help. you'r the best.;D

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      178.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      159.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

He actually looks pretty good considering.

Nope you do not have to worry about the live rock or sand, ich has to have a host at one point during it's life cycle. So if ich has no host during lets say a 28 day period is will die.

1 person likes this.
  10. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

You are on theright track. I did just that 2 months ago. Treated the entire DT system with hypo. I did mine for 30 days and had great success. If you remove sand for the inverts, and it has no fish exposure, the crypt will die and you are good to go. Don't sweat removing the rock. I didn't and had no ill effects. Just yank the inverts and then drop the salinity to 1.009. Make sure you use a well calibrated refractometer. Lastly keep thefish well fed and don't stop early. When you raise the salinity, do it over a weeks time VERY slowly

1 person likes this.
  11. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

thanks guys,
    pickupman didn't you have a spike in your parameters due to die-off in live rock? does the process kill aiptasia? i hope it does. and how about nassarius snails? sorry for the tons of questions but i need to do it right .

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

No dieoff for my rocks. The tank was newly setup with good live rockthat didn't have any critters on it yet. I don't have any pods in the tank yet either. I didn't have any inverts at all. The snails are likely gonners. Pull as many as you can. Idk about the aptasia but it may not make it thru either. Just don't run the lights slot and you won't have algae growth and keep your params up as best as you can. The skimmer won't work very well b