White Cyano

Discussion in 'Algae' started by BorntoReef, Feb 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BorntoReef

BorntoReef Fire Worm

I have a post with a picture, but now my red slime is turning white... The last time I posted they said add carbon and Amquel... I did and now it's turning white, is that like it's angry and dying? lol. I just woke up the morning after I put some carbon and treated it with Amquel, and :eek: it's white! When it turns completely white, can i gently take it off?? or would that just make it spread even more?

2. Click Here!

3. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Usually when red cyano starts to die, it turns a dark burgundy color and will lift off the sand easily in one chunk. AmQuel is normally used as emergency band-aid to reduce NH3 and NO2. It provides a fast source of nitrifying bacteria. White slime usually is a fungal outbreak, which is a whole different battle. If it is fungal, you will want to treat the water with antibiotic medications. If you remove it manually, I would suggest siphoning it out with a 1/2" tube. You don't want to cause any spores to be released into the water and spread to other parts in the tank. After you do that, bleach the bucket and tubing you used to siphon it out with. Oh, FYI, when you treat your tank with any medication, remove the carbon, as the carbon will just absorbe the medications you add into the water.