White Blotches on my Tang-Help!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by glblguy, Oct 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

From the sounds of it, you still have ich or something similar. Once you get it in your tank, its really hard to get rid of it, and if your tank has only been for a few months, you are just making it worse. Your tank is still new enough that it wouldnt be a big deal to quarantine all of your fish, trash your sand, dip all of your liverock and put it in a plastic tub with a powerhead, clean out your tank spotless and all equiptment, let it all dry out and start all over again. Except this time, put your new sand in with a single fish, damsels are not my fav to start with cause its a pain to remove them once the rock goes back in.

After about 4-5days, dip your liverock again, drain the tub you had the liverock in and wash it out well with untreated tap water so it will kill anything alive left in the tub like free swimming parasites. Dry it out fill it back up with new saltwater remove the rock from the dip and put it back in the tub again for another 4-5 days and repeat the process 2 more times for a total of 3 dips over 15 days. After the 3rd dip, let the rock sit for another 7 days and dip again, this time after dipping, you can put the rock back in your tank.

The life cycle of most parasites is 21-28 days. Dipping works great to kill free swimming parasites, no dip in the world will kill the eggs without killing the coral.

Yeah I know its a serious pain in the butt, but I am having to do it too cause of the parasitic problems I had. I had parasitic isopods attack my powder brown tang, and the dinoflagelettes (marine velvet) attacked it and then attacked everything else in the tank. So now that tank s fishless and has been for a month, but I am not prepared to remove all the liverock and corals out, but I will be hopefully by next weekend, and then I'll start the process I explained to you.

I also had Ich back in Jan of this year and I successfully beat it by using that method as well. I cam up with that after trying several various things and lost all but 2 fish from ich back then.

I also have hydrozoan jellies now too, to top everything off.

If you have any questions about the my method, ask away, or PM me.

2. Click Here!

3. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

No, I had 3 blue damsels. The store I bought the tank from said I needed fish to cycle it. Have learned since then that I didn't.

The tanks been up and running for about 3 months now, just added the current Sailfin about a week ago. The Blue Tang that died I added a few weeks after the tank cycled.

I actually am taking it very slow, with the exception of the initial damels. I waited a good 2-3 weeks after it cycled before I added anymore fish. The Blue Tang was the first I added.

4. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Wow...man I just spent 3 months getting this tank right. What kind of fish do you suggest for cycling?

Beginning to wonder if this whole salt water thing is really worth it...

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

This hobby is not cheap and all life is precious. If you are unwilling to learn much and take advice from others when first starting out, you have no business in it.

It takes lots of research and $$$...

But once the investment is made, it is worth it.

6. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Realizing it's not cheap, and I agree on life is precious. Never said I was unwilling to learn or take advice. I'm sure you can imagine this is a little frustrating for someone just starting out. I've been working very hard to keep this tank going, get it cycled, get the right fish, etc. I've spent most every night reading, asking questions and researching.

Since I'm new here, and fairly new to salt, go easy on me there omard ok?

I do sincerely appreciate everyone's help and advice.