White Blotches on my Tang-Help!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by glblguy, Oct 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

I've had a marine reef tank for about 3 months. Have added some live rock, and tried a few different fishes. All that have survived at this point are a clown (who is doing REALLY well) and a Sailfin Tang we bought about a week ago.

The Last night I noticed some white blotches on the Sailfin Tang, and woke up this morning and there were more and it now has blotches on its fins.

It looks too large to be marine ich, as they are blotches and not dots. I've attached a picture to help. It's not the best picture, but you can see the blotches.

I moved him to my hospital tank I now have set-up. Added Maracyn-2 and Copper Safe to the tank.

Any help identifying the problem or help with a cure would be most appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Looks more like scrapes and scratches to me. Has the clown been picking on the tang?

4. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Not at all. I think it's more than that, as it is spreading and it's on his pectoral fins now and it wasn't yesterday.

5. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I know from time to time my Kole Tang will be a little scuffed up from darting in and out of the rock. They love fitting through tight spots in the rock, on their endless hunt for algae. It usually clears up in a couple of hours

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

What are all of your water parameters. Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia?

J

7. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

They are all good. I check them every other day. Nitrate, Nitrites, and Ammonia all pretty much 0. PH is 8.3.

8. Click Here!

9. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

It's probably scrapes from rockwork, mine got them all the time, even it's eye. Just watch the fish in the hospital tank, if it progresses then it's not scrapes.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Looks like parasites. Looks almost identicle to what my tang had. It had parasitic isopods.

What happened to the other fish that didnt survive???

11. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Well a few died due to the cycling process...damsels.

Blue Tang, and High Hat died due to marine ich. I was stupid and put cold water in the tank not knowing it would hurt the fish :-[

Had a clown just die the day after I brought it home...not sure why.

So, assuming maybe that is what it is, Copper the best remedy?

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Soak your food you give the tangs in Vit C or garlic and it will help. I hope to God you didn't have that Tang in your tank while you was cycling it? :-/ You mentioned you lost a few during cycling... Shouldn't be adding fish until that is done.
    Slow down a little! ;)