Whisper 30 pump as a powerhead

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Seano Hermano, Jan 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I have a HOB filter made by tetra, that I will no longer be using. It's the whisper 30(no longer made) and has a magnetic driven pump. Could this be used as a powerhead? It puts out great flow even compared to my koralia nano(425)s. It's water proof & even submersible(I think, haha). Is there a mod I could do to make it into a powerhead?

On the bottom of the pump it says...

E63138
    Model T2
    Energizer

Can't get pitcures right now. Camera battery is dead.

[​IMG]

The only problem I see it that because it is magnetic driven, the venturee(sp?) wants to go out of the "chamber". :-/

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Sure, why not? All you want is turbulence right?

I'd use the whole thing though. It can also serve as a makeshift fluidized (passive) reactor. You can dispense charcoal, GFO, ChemiPure, etc. I have 2 AquaClear 70's on my 55g frag right now. I have ChemiPure in both of them.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Hmmm...I hadn't thought about using it like a reactor. Good thinkin. If I do that, I'll hang it on the side of the sump.

My original plan was to use the pump(alone) in the display like a powerhead. But I am not quite sure how to...well, the impeller does not want to stay spinning. Because the pump is magnetic driven the impeller wants to "shoot" forward, as fast as possible. When that happens, the powerhead motion stops. lol. There is no "cover" to stop it.