Which Wrasse?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Brennan, Jan 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Which species of wrasse?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2011.
  1. 2 Flasher wrasses of any species (so they keep their color)

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 1 Female Leopard Wrasse

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. 1 Potter's Wrasse

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. 1 Mystery wrasse

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

The tank is a 60g 48x15x18 and it has a 20g fuge. The tank will be a full reef also. I plan on having a mandarin so take that in account if the species of wrasse preys on pods also.

EDIT: correction, 2 "male" flasher wrasses

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I went the female Leopard Wrasse route. Very good at eating pests and cool looking. Replaced my female Melanurus with one. Also have a Mandarin pair in the tank. Find one that's already eating well.

4. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Yeaaa! You took my advice! Vote Mystery Wrasse!! hahaha :)

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

The two male wrasses will fight. It is recommended to keep a male with two or more females for color. Additionally you can feed them quality food like Golden Pearls.

A radiant wrasse is always a great choice as they are both colorful and one of the best wrasses for cleaning of pests.

But if you desire insane color from a wrasse, I am partial to the male terminal phase melanurus wrasse (which I have a mated pair of) or a male vroliks wrasse. These are of the haliochores genus so they are generally VERY well behaved in our tanks.

6. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Ya I don't want the flasher wrasse then, its between the mystery and female blue star leopard wrasse now but i kinda like the radiant wrasse now haha

EDIT: I decided on the radiant wrasse, after watching a video of one I fell in love. Is there any other species that I previously posted that would be compatible with it? Such as a leopard or mystery

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

You can't go wrong with any of the three, they're all really nice fish!

8. Click Here!

9. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Well I know for sure that I want a radiant wrasse, just need to decide the second wrasse I want to go with it. i will see what the poll says

10. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Would a Whipfin fairy wrasse and a radiant wrasse be compatible? If I only had a male whipfin fairy wrasse by himself, would he keep his full color without females?

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You want to stay away from Fairy Wrasses with Halichoeres Wrasses, the Fairy will attack the Halichoeres. Be warned that Halichoeres wrasses eat pods. If you wanted another wrasse get the Vrolik's or Melanurus wrasses for color.

12. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Okay, I really want the mandarin so i will go with a male Hoeven's wrasse instead of the radiant wrasse