Which wavemaker ?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by jborlace, May 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm thinking about buying a wavemaker. Looking at the vortech mp10. Saw the jaebo models are a lot cheaper but not crazy about ordering from Japan and they seem to have a high fail rate around 7 or 8 months. Thought about the Korilla kit with the two pumps and controller but heard they are loud when the click on and off. Any thoughts and experiences with any wavemakers.

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I just ordered Jebao myself, but that is because i don't have vortech mp10 money. If money were no issue I would have made a different purchase. If you do plan to do jebao and are getting more than one pump, https://www.fish-street.com/jebao_twins_linkage_controller has a good deal where you can link them together.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

If you can afford an MP10, that is the route I would go.

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

+1. Only issue I've had with EcoTech is on the customer service side. Technology side of the business is amazing.

6. jborlace

Yeah I'm leaning towards the mp10. Videos I watched on YouTube looked like one was plenty for a 40b.

7. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Depends on what livestock you want to keep. SPS would require more than that. I had two on a 40B, and it was perfect.

8. Click Here!

9. jborlace

I have a couple of extra powerheads. I could throw one in there with the mp10 if I have to. At the moment I have a torch, frogspawn and a hammer that are doing real good with the two powerheads I have in there. An Aqueon 650 gph and a Korilla nano 420 gph.

10. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have the Jeabo and I have been very happy so far. I ordered it from Fish Street which was easy and quick. I have heard of failures around the 1 year mark and have only had mine for about 4 months so I can't speak to that issue. I have heard of failures with the vortech also and the expense of out of warranty repair. All of these failures or both pumps could just be anecdotal reports or real issues. An actual large group survey would probably help to answer that question. If I have to replace my Jeabo every year or a vortech once every 3, the cost is the same, it s just a matter or performance and controllability for which vortech probably has an edge.The reality for me was the shallowness of my pockets at the time i needed a pump!

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Yup, I completely understand. I just bought twp new WP40 motors. One is to replace my dead one and another for a spare. I think they were $35 each, so not like they are breaking the back by any means, just I do think they should last longer than 8 months!

12. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

I have 3 jaebo power heads, 2x40s and 1x60, I have been running the 40s in my 350 for almost 18 months, no issues, I added a 60 so I could stir up a typhoon a couple of times a month, I do this and don't feed for a day before and a day after, all the crud gets into the water Colum and becomes dinner, I tend to do this at bed time, that way it's clear by the time I get up and it doesn't interfere with my viewing pleasure.

People are very hung up about honk kong, china or japan, to be honest most of what we use is made somewhere In that region, I have heard plenty of horror stories of the expensive gear failing and the after market being awful.................... I pay a hundred bucks for a power head, if it lasts 2 years, I believe I have made my money, what does a motor cost for a vortech motor ? The jaebo is cheap, I would almost call it disposable ?
    I believe they move similar of not greater amounts of water, and to be honest my fish can't read the manufacturers name, they just love the flow baby.