Which Vortech to get and how many for a 72 gallon bowfront

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe, May 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr. Reefenstein

Dr. Reefenstein Fire Shrimp

I just put my ecosmart mp40 on a 72g Bf. and it's plenty for that size tank.. The undertow is crazy, very strong.. Once you sync your wave pattern your set. I get good flow through out the entire tank.. Just position you return lines correctly and you're set...

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

you and me both Mike...

4. CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe

CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for the information, I love this place.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'm pretty sure you can go with 2 MP20s for the 72g, and if you upgrade to a bigger tank you can just upgrade the drivers for them and they turn into MP40s.

6. CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe

I just wonder with the functions that these powerheads have, the wave driver, does this act the same as wavemaker, the wave maker function on a power strip, and the controller with the fuction to wave make? It sounds repetitive but I just want to know if they are all similar functions

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I agree 2 MP40s on a 72 is too much.... but.... it is legit to run lower power, and if you are going bigger in the future you have the pumps. 2 MP20s would be fine.

Next.... you keep mentioning a power stip and controller. Do you have a controller??? First.... most tanks tell you straight up waves will void warantees. Vortech tells you straight up not to make waves until you check with your manufacturer. I'm too chicken to makes waves in my tank. Second.... Vortechs are awesome pumps for a lot of reasons. The drivers and what they can do are one, but not the only. However... If you are serious about a tank, I consder a controler to be a must.... for a ton of reason with making waves being way down on the list.

If you have money to throw around for vortechs, you really should reconsider a controller. The best money you will ever spend on your tank, not to mention an in vestment in the safety of your tank. Wipe out a couple thousand in live stock over a stupid malfunction and you will understand.

Not to mention.... Apex now has a module for Vortechs and I now control both mine however I want when ever I want all automatically. Do some reasearch. You want a controller and if you are getting Vortech you want a Apex. Just my .02.

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

This is a good point. Before spending a bunch of money on powerheads that are something of a luxury there are some other things that might be better for your tank first. Since you were planning on more at one point I assume you have the budget for a nice controller as well, but just be sure not to forget about the other things that make running a reef tank easier and safer for your animals and for you and your house.

10. CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe

Any other information on these powerheads?

11. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse