Which Vortech to get and how many for a 72 gallon bowfront

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe, May 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe

CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe Flamingo Tongue

2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Personally, I think that a pair of 40s is overkill for a 72. A pair of 20s would work fine. With the new ES drivers, they are linkable just like their big brothers.

5. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

yeah i'd go with two mp20's unless ur planning on upgrading soon.

6. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

Im just wondering if you plan on droppin so much cash have you considered a bigger tank? They are much more lenient as far as water quality and allow more room for larger fish (Tangs) and more coral.

7. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

I have a 72 and one works great. too mutch water movment causes my anemones to move and polups not come out.

8. Click Here!

9. CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe

CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe Flamingo Tongue

Yes i am but later on. Space does not allow me to increase in size. trust me i would definitly if i could. but thats why im getting great stuff. so i dont have to as much later down the road when i upgrade.

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Not sure why, but I can't seem to focus on the question with your avatar sharing its message to us, lol.

11. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

I sort of figured this. Yeah originally I was gonna get a 55, then a 75, then a 100, and of course I have a 125! The Hippo Tang was a large reason for this. My only knock on the Vortechs is that I don't like the motor on the outside of the glass. Because of this I opt for a pair of Korallia Evos on a controller. I think you are on the right track though with buyin the right thing the first time, it will prob actually save you money in the long run. On that note, if you plan on upgrading your tank later anyway, I would suggest two 250w MH fixtures. If you later expand to a 6' long tank a third can easily be added but a 48" and 24" T5 combo looks tacky IMO. Also I believe MH offers benefits with UV light that T5 does not.

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

I run two MP40's in my 80g. I have them running on reef crest mode anti-synch at 40%

Yes, one is enough to move water in your tank. I suggest having two because I don't want my pumps running 100%. It will increase wear, electricity usage and not to mention that anything near the pump running at full speed will get a lopsided amount of flow.