Which test kit?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by shoebox, Feb 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

OK I don't need the very best but want a good kit which do you guys use. Does anyone use the different electronic testers? Also what do we need to test for and how often?

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Depends on what kind of tank you are testing - if you are FOWLER - you only need pH, nitrate, Ammonia as your bare essentials.

If you have a reef:

Calcium
    dKH/Alk
    Magnesium
    Phosphates
    Nitrates
    Ammonia
    pH

I personally use Salifert because they have a fiercesome reputation for being accurate and easy to read.

I do not use the electronic checkers tho the Hannah Checkers do seem to get good reviews.

IMO - not worth saving a few dollars on test kits - I like to get something I know has a track record of success.

4. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate test kits are good for cycling a tank, monitoring water quality and diagnosing problems.

Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium are essential for keeping corals.

5. mithelmit

mithelmit Astrea Snail

I personally use the API kits and have been pretty happy with them. They won't break the bank and my fish have been healthy as long as I've been using them so I think they are good.

Just to be covered I got the Saltwater and Reef master kits.

Like M-Ocean Man, I too have heard great things about the Sailfert kits

6. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

OK thanks and It will be a reef with a couple of fish.

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I use salifert test kits – find them to be the most accurate. I have used the Hagen Master text kit in the past and found the results to be accurate as well. I eventually graduated to PH, CA, ORP and O2 probes – very glad that I did too.

I monitor my probes all the time and I test the water weekly before and after my water changes.

Keep a log – the history comes in handy.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Salifert for Alkalinity and Calcium for sure, either Red Sea or Salifert for Magnesium, and the rest (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, "high range" ph, phosphate) can pretty much be from any company.

For alkalinity and phosphate, I might suggest the Hanna Checkers, as they're pretty darn awesome. Just a bit of an initial investment, but the per test cost is comparable to regular kits after that, and it's much more accurate.