Which T5 fixture

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Brennan, Dec 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jtr38230

jtr38230 Skunk Shrimp

My friend has had a odyssea for a few months. I like it and ordered two of them the other day.

2. Click Here!

3. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I've been running the 2x39w T5 by Odyssea for about 5 weeks now and I have to say that I am very impressed. I can't speak specifically to the model you are thinking of but the black finish goes very well with the black trim on my tank. Operationally it is a wonderful unit.

I think they are only cheap until their reputation goes up...maybe I should just shut up.. :D

The other unit may be very good as well but the black finish and lower cost make it a no brainer for me.

EDIT: One thing worth mentioning is that the power switch for the Odyssea T5 units are on the ballasts and not the fixture itself. I have about 4 inches of extra stand space on either side of my tank so I just place the ballast there and turn it off from there with no problem. Another solution would be a timer. There is no mounting bracket or anything like that so if you don't have a timer and you don't have any flat surface at tank level then you might be bending over to turn on and off your lights... which would suck.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Go with the Odyssea. Use the fishneedit in over a refugium.

5. theaquapond

theaquapond Bristle Worm

Sorry but my camera sucks and the pics are not good

6. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

No problem! I am gonna buy the Odyssea anyways....well as soon as its in stock :cry:

7. phillipjlael

phillipjlael Plankton

Well i just got my 36" 4 t5 Odyssea in the mail. Shocking nothing was broken. Well the first thing i can say is that it's blinding bright. I mean i am comparing it to a 20 watt single light i had on it. The main thing i don't like about it is that they have the daylight and blue light placed wrong. I'd like to have both blue and both daylight on there own plug so i can run blue on it's on then daylight with blue. I can't figure out how the bulbs come out yet. I know it's a cheaply made light so i don't wanna break it. I'm gonna e-mail them and try and find out how they come out with out breaking it.

8. Click Here!

9. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

just twist it - it will pop out.

Trust me - Odyssea bulbs isn't bright :)
    ATI and UVL - that bright!

10. phillipjlael

phillipjlael Plankton

Ok thanks i'll give it a try again later. I just don't see a opening for it to just pop out. Oh each end of the bulb there is plastic. Does that twist as well or no? Oh and about those bulbs being brigther?? Great those are the one's i wanna replace them with in about a month. When i get those and there brighter then these then i think people are gonna be thinking i'm growing something other then coral down here lol

11. phillipjlael

phillipjlael Plankton