Which RODI part needs to be replaced first?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by veedubshafer, Jan 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

How old is the carbon and what micron rating is it? If its 6 months old or more it probably needs replaced. If its larger than 1 micron I would definitely replace it since it is probably exhausted. A low range chlorine test kit will confirm this. Remember all water goes through the carbon, even the waste so if you have made 500 gallons of RO/DI you have had 2500 or more gallons go through the carbon. Many carbons only last 300 (granular activated carbon)to 3000 (5 micron or larger, or as little as 1000 total gallons for a 10 micron)total gallons. Worn out carbon will kill a membrane and the only way you will know is increased DI usage.
    What are the tap water TDS and RO only TDS readings?

2. Click Here!

3. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

Honestly, I didn't test and I don't care. I replaced the sediment and the DI and disinfected the unit. In 6 months I will replace everything. Thanks for your help but you are WAY overboard with the RODI thing. There are people out there that use tap water and put drops of chemicals in it and have successful reef tanks. What I am doing is fine and my tank is proof of that.