Which power heads should I use for my 90 gal reef tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Nyraider30, Feb 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBEW41

IBEW41 Astrea Snail

+1 have this on my 120g works great

2. Click Here!

3. Nyraider30

Nyraider30 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

They are real expensive...compared to the koralias

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Some people put 3~4 Koralias on their 75~90 gallon. Lets say you need 4 of 1400. Thats like $200. Plus youd want the semi-wavemaker for $40. Total $240 as opposed to $400 (MP40).

But I think its worth getting yelled at, occasional flying plates and cups by the wife, and the cost. Just sayin'

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Yeah Vortech's are more expensive but....I can resell my Mp10 es and recoup most of my money back...the Koralis's you'll pretty much be giving them away. There's just no comparison between the two period.

My 1 Mp10 es has taken the place of my 2xKoralia 240's. It's also smaller, taking up less room in my tank. I just can't say enough about them :)

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Everyone raves about the MP's but frankly I was not impressed at all in the ones I have seen. For one, the buttons fell off the controller on my friends in the first year. Then they are noisy as heck compared to my Evolutions 1400's and she has had to rebuild them a couple of times as the one section keep wearing out.
    Not sure on the energy consumption since she does not have a Kill A Watt but my Evo 1400's draw and actual 5 watts each, not bad for moving that much water.

Great idea but I'm not convinced it is perfected yet.

7. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I vote for the evolutions. I love my hydors. They give a much broader flow.

8. Click Here!

9. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

I wouldn't suggest Vortech's to someone recently entering the hobby. I had 4 1050's in my 92 for some time. Depending on the type of corals you plan to support, would determine the amount of flow necessary.