Which power heads should I use for my 90 gal reef tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Nyraider30, Feb 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nyraider30

Nyraider30 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I was told to get the hydro koralia evolution 1050 gal per hour and put 1 on each side of my tank...I'm new to reef tanks but does that seem like too much power for my tank?my other question is can I just leave them on all the time or do I have to hook them up to a wave maker....thanks guys I appreciate the help

2. Click Here!

3. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Have you checked out vortech's?

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

No that won't be to much flow for your tank. No you don't have to have them on a wave maker...it's a really nice option though. One much preferred by corals and fish alike :)

If you have the money...I'd go with the Vortech's Mp40 x2 hands down.

5. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

That is not too much flow for a 90, I have 2 1050's and a mai jet 1200 not to mention 2 quiet one 3000 on my 55 gallon!

Wavemakers are great and will provide a healthier environment for your corals but they are not a necessity. I like my hydor's but, there are other good power heads out there as well, maxi-jets, vortech's, even the aqua clear pumps are decent.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

What are you going to be keeping in your tank? But no it won't be too much! I'd actually think about doing the 1400's!

I've had 2 750's on my 55g, and I just ordered 2 1400's to replace them!

No you don't need a wave maker! They are cool though! Try placing them in the rear corners, about half way down, pointing towards the front middle of the tank! This should give ya some random flow, and high, mod, low flow areas!

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

i tried hooking my hydror 1050gph and my maxijet 1200 to my jbj wavemaker but when they kick on they all make such a nasty kick start noise it scares me and the rest of the tank so i've only been able to hook up wavemaker specific powerheads to my wavemaker to avoid this. if i had a bigger tank i would just get a vortechmp60 but my 29g does just fine with 2 jbj ocean-pulses and a upgraded hydror return pump

8. Click Here!

9. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i'm running 2 1050s and 1 1400 in my 90. plus my return pump. Yes you leave them running all the time and no you do not have to have a wave maker.

10. Nyraider30

Nyraider30 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice...can't wait to get this going

11. Saltwatercoral2

Saltwatercoral2 Astrea Snail

I agree, if you have the money I would go atleast 1 mp40 and an mp10 for the opposite side. Seems like this is the perfect combo on a tank that sized.

12. Beenoff

Beenoff Plankton

get a vortech! I have a vortech mp10 in my 29 g and its awesome. i wish i had 4 :)