Which med?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by PackLeader, May 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JasonJordahl

JasonJordahl Astrea Snail

sorry just seeing what bad words were allowed

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Thanks Spark, and thanks to everyone else that weighed in.
    Got the HT set up and no more than 30 seconds later, dude clown pops out of the rocks, joins his old lady, and starts eating like a pig. Now I really don't know what to do. I have been doing the feeding good stuff for a week now, and it seems to have gotten worse, so half of me still wants them in the HT. The other half still wants to stick to my guns. I really don't like these moments of the hobby, lol. I just want them to survive. I would be devastated if I lost my male clown. Seriously. And my hippo too. It has really unique color patterns for a hippo, and I have raised it since it was about a half-inch long.
    All I know is the whole-half of me is going to the bar now for a Bushmills on the rocks :)

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Time zones , it would have been nice to not have been asleep if only to offer moral support

hope is all OK now and they make it through this

Steve

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Thanks Steve. This all started today so you are not too late! I am still fighting over what to do. My gut is telling me HT.

6. steve wright

2 minds for me also

extra stress, of netting and change of enviroment versus propriety meds that would kill the problem

if you have the parasite in the tank and you remove the fish - you got to wait until they can go back? otherwise they get it again

if you can sit tight and build up the fishes immunity, help them fight this with garlic, vits and HUFAs ( yep, Huffas are something I read about not something I know) then they deal with the problem themselves

if your sure its ICH? why not use a reef safe product like KICK ICH for peace of mind?

Steve

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

If they're eating I think I would leave them in there. Unless the water is really out of wack.
    I may be moving in couple months so I'm not looking forward to it.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well heres the problem: The hippo started showing signs of it a week ago during the move. I have done food with all garlic, vitamin c, Melafix, and HUFA's since then. Even with that, it appears to be spreading/getting worse. The tank has now hit a mini-cycle due to the move, so I am going to have to ride that out, and the params aren't going to be stable/ideal for the time being. There isn't too many other fish really, just the firefish (sounds cruel but not particularly attached to it), and the mandarin. The mandarin has the really thick (and poisonos!) slime coat, so it shouldn't be affected by ich. So the idea was to get the two fish in the HT and just end this before it's too late.

I have done a lot of studying, and have never come across a SINGLE case of Kick Ich or any other "reef-safe, natural" product to have ever of worked. Don't really want to waste my time with the stuff if I can treat it properly with copper in the HT.

10. steve wright

I understand packleader
    you must do what you feel right doing.

Steve

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

OK, went and had a few cold ones, and have decided to HT. Male clown had that little spurt of looking good, but looks even worse now. Labored breathing pretty good. In my heart, I feel he will not make it under current conditions. I have lost fish before, and succesfully overcome ich without a HT, and this is just the gut feeling I have. If I lose him while I had an HT set up I would feel horrid. If he goes in the HT I would at least be able to say I tried.
    This is seriously the last thing I needed at this point with the 200 ready to go up.
    If anyone has any last bits of advice it would be much appreciated :-/

12. steve wright

Well if some has the ideal solution for this situation when they post it, it needs to be a sticky IMO

Its a lottery sometimes

I have cured fish in the DT using Garlic - I have lost fish using same treatment
    I have HT my main tank and saved fish - I have lost fish when HT my main tank
    I have saved fish in QT using Cuprazin - I have lost fish in QT using cuprazin

depends on the fish , relative health etc prior to any of the courses of action

Sorry I dont have answers for you I will say that Reef sparkys contribution of using Hagen Cycle to take the edge of the water parameter conditions is one that I have used before.

Steve