Which LED fixture to choose...

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Fisk, May 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fisk

Fisk Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 55 gallon aquarium. It's got a few pounds of live rock, and the finding nemo crew in it. For my birthday, I have two goals: get a lighting system to support corals (current lighting is a 40w actinic bulb), and order some dry rock from reefcleaners.org . As for the lighting, I have found a greatly priced LED on Aquatraders. Here's the link: EVO Quad 72 LED Reef Bright . I'm not looking for the best quality, just something that will be able to support all the types of corals. Does anyone have any experience with these systems?
    Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. dunc101

dunc101 Flamingo Tongue

Have you looked at the chinese led thread? You can get a 120 watt dimmable chinese LED for $175 which is more power and cheaper than the fixture you show in your thread. They also have some great reviews so far and can keep anything you want, including SPS. They may not be the best quality LED's, but are a great budget friendly option if you want a complete fixture, imo.

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I agree, you should look at some Chinese units if you want to save money. Those LEDs that you linked to seem to be a bit of an unknown as far as I know, and it raises concerns for me simply because there is no note of the exact diodes used. I also think we are at a point with this technology that no fixture should be purchased without dimmers. There's nothing like spending your money on a lighting system to find out that you hate the color it puts out. T5s and halides are much easier in this respect as the spectrum can easily be changed.

5. ravensix

ravensix Fire Worm

I agree also. I have the non dimmable version. It looks great. So far the corals are loving it. And as for the aquatraders..... I wouldnt trust them. Have had a few friends who have got products from them and within a few weeks or months something breaks. They have no support.

6. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

I purchased 2 of the 120W TaoTronics LED's. I'm quite pleased with them.