Which is weaker?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by AaaRr, May 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Wow, this thread has taken an interesting turn....
    I think many of the aspects of this discussion would be hard to prove either way.
    As far as the how much does the PAR drop per inch of depth....
    That would depend on too many factors for me to test, at least without setting up a test/control tank.
    Type of lamp, water movement/surface agitation, water clarity and so on would affect the PAR. For example there are spots in my tank that might be 370 uMol but directly in line with it but over an inch it might be 340 uMol. Then directly below them it might be 387 uMol. In my tank I have more PAR on the sandbed dead center than I do some places more than halfway up the tank. This is especially true with MH lamps.
    If I had more free time and less kids I would squirrel myself in a room with lots of lamps and tanks and test PAR all day, well, and of course enjoy a beer or two.

As far as spectrum goes, I suppose the added reds and yellows of the 6000k lamps goes could spur algae growth, but I can say that 6000k lamps are the only ones that spur algae nor do they always spur algae.
    Working at a LFS I ask people everyday about direct/indirect sun.... but as my own test I have my tank feet from a western exposed sliding door. So from 3-8 it gets sun and sometimes lots of sun. I don't see anymore algae on the days that I leave the blinds open nor do I see more algae now than I did without the summer sun.
    Nutrients again is a MAJOR determining factor.
    Aquaculture love the 6000k lamps, trust me, they rock corals!

As far as anemones go.... I suppose if you had a huge carpet die and you didn't notice it, you would have some death... But I have seen many anemones die in transit or shortly there after without nuking a tank. I have had many customers who do not take to advice well have anemones die without crash. I would still suspect that the massive NH3 addtion to the tank is what tips the dominoes. Think a massive NH3 spike will kill sensitive inverts first triggering more NH3, killing more hardy critters in turn releasing more NH3... Its the dominoe effect you see with live rock, die off spurs more die off.

I think horkn is right though to some extent about T5, I wouldn't say its stronger than MH but there are certain corals that can get BAKED under MH but pale out or bleach under T5.... My monti caps are starting to turn orange again after being a pale peach/pink color for sometime.
    I can say from experience that many of my corals lightened up only to slowly regain that nice deep/rich coloring.
    In this hobby like everything in life, it is impossible to see/hear or try everything. So much of OUR knowledge comes second hand or from "A buddy of mine's friend said...."
    This is how many misconceptions and false knowledge continue to spread and be passed along.
    All we can do is try as much as we can, experiement, live alittle and look to the reefs as a teacher for our systems.... My new theory massive water changes... but thats another thread :D

Happy reefing!

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

As this thread gets more and more off topic I want to add one last thing... In regards to sunlight, yesterday I was thinking as I baked in the sun about a guy I saw on RC... He lives in Az and has a 180 or something along those lines that is lit by sun. He used 3 solar tubes and brought the light from the roof to his tank via the tubes. He added T5 for bluing to offset the serious yellow he was getting. Not only did the sun rock his tank and grew SPS like mad he paid literally nothing for lighting ever month. The T5s were only on for a few hours and they were maybe 200w total. Sure beats the upwards to 900-1000 I see on other comparable sized tanks.....
    The point of this anecdote is that the guy NEVER mentioned algae growth, rampant or otherwise. SO if this guy can rock a tank with essentially only sunlight I can't imagine a 6000k lamp or two will make the tank covered in hair algae!

Happy reefing!

4. AaaRr

AaaRr Spaghetti Worm

Okay lights come today!!! Ya...Which way should I set the lights up in fixture like?

4 -- ATI Blue Plus
    2 -- UV Lighting 75-25
    1 -- ATI 12000K Aquablue
    1 -- GE 65000K Dayligh

From a Front to back?