Which filter, canister rookie or no??

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by cosmo, Oct 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Ok, starting a little 5g seahorse tank
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/tropical-fish/gonna-start-seahorse-tank-139870-5.html#post1405928

But didn't like the little internal filter that came with it, so I bought this:

Amazon.com: Penguin Power Filters BIO-Wheel 100: Pet Supplies becuase it had the least footprint in the tank and fit ok, but I'm not crazy about the wheel part(nitrates???) so should I keep this and take the wheel off or get:

NANO 501 External Canister Filter

Which seems like overkill, but I could use it as a fuge???? Any thoughts(Mr. Bill lol)?? I feel like I've heard much more negative about canister filters than positive

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Bump;) bored at work

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Actually, the bio-wheel is an excellent place for the nitrifying bacteria, as it doesn't have to compete for O2 from the water column like that which is colonized on the LR. A little swishing in a bucket of old tank water after a WC will keep it clean and prevent the "nitrate factory" effect.

A canister can be used, but they're a PITA to clean, and as you know, that needs to be done more frequently with SW than with fresh.

The problem I have with both units is flow. 80 - 100gph in a 5g tank may be too much for seahorses as they're not very elegant swimmers. :-/

2 people like this.
  5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I say the canister because he could easily add a ball valve to slow the flow down and put LR inside.

It should be easy to clean since its so small, but I do completely understand why canisters are a PITA on larger systems.

1 person likes this.
  6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

..its just so nice to NOT have things hanging.. : / I say canister...and flow control is an option worth looking into.....but the BW is so easy to maintain...maybe some wild bucking bronco seahorses.. MuWahahahahaha : )

2 people like this.
  7. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Yep... guess my mind is slipping on me.

A ball valve on the return line would allow total control of flow.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

HMMM, but there is WAY more than enough work involved with a seahorse tank already! Do we think that the canister is gonna offer enough benefits to outweigh the work involved with it? Or just straight mod it to fuge! Half the battle with these tanks is sucking up the brine thats not eating and then removing them! Something that is harder with a canister!

Thanks ya'll

nana, thats discontinued, but gonna look into other sites!

11. Mr. Bill

That canister looks very similar to the Zoo Med 501. :)

If you're looking to go with a HOB, my personal preference is Whisper. I've received nothing but years of trouble-free performance with them. While lacking a bio-wheel, the flow is adjustable on "Classic" models 20 and up.

Just a thought. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thanks everyone, I think I'm gonna run the biowheel for now and see how it reacts, the budget for this tank and seahorses is a little higher than I like at the moment, but that may change in the next week or so.