Which do you think is better?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by anpgp, Feb 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

So I know there are a lot of RO/DI threads on here so sorry for starting another one. I'm finally going to break down and get my own, tired of going to the store to get RO water that I'm not sure of the quality. I've narrowed my selection down to two: SpectraPure's ProPlus RO/DI 4 stage 90gpd unit with a built in dual line TDS meter. It would be $171 after shipping. Now my second choice is Purewaterclub's RO/DI 5 stage 50gpd unit. After adding a dual line TDS it would be $122 after shipping. I only have a 29gal tank so I don't need a high gpd. I'm leaning towards the spectrapure but just wanted everyone else's opinions.

Here are the filter stages:
    Spectrapure:
    1 micrometer pre sediment filter
    1 micrometer carbon block
    98% Plus-Rejection TFC membrane
    Silicabuster 10" DI cartridge

Purewaterclub:
    5 micron presediment filter
    granular activated carbon filter
    5 micron carbon block
    98% TFC membrane
    DI cartridge

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I would go with the cheaper one, especially for a 29gal tank. Both have the important parts, the TFC membrane and the DI cartridge.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello, a lot of us use these guys; RO/DI Systems
    I have the second one down. Jim is great and takes time to help anytime you call him. Just talk to him and see what he thinks.

5. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

thats what I have and its great

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I was looking at that one but with the meter and shipping it was $195. For that price, I liked the Spectrapure one more as the TDS was built into the unit, not separate.

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

So just a couple of quick questions before I order one of these. What's the big drawback to hooking one up to a cold water line? And I'm also worried about since I'm renting such an old house if the copper pipes are leaching anything into the water and if an RO/DI unit can remove any of those harmful compounds?

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The unit produces clean water slower. If you get a 25 foot coil of tubing and put in in a bucket of water with a heater inside the coils set at the ideal operating temp you will get the rated production. It should handle the chemicals from copper piping. If you are on a public water system there is phosphorus added to keep the pipes from leaching. Do not hook up to the hot water it will destroy your unit.

I have the purewaterclub unit and have had no problems with it.

1 person likes this.
  10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I have the 4th one down.

Filterguys really know their stuff and their units are better than pretty much anyone elses units.

You want a filmtec RO membrane. Those are the best, and it looks like neither of the 2 you are looking at have this membrane. The cheapest filterguys one has the filmtec 75gpg membrane, the one you want.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Jim will know.

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I own the SpectraPure 90gpd unit and love it. It was my very first RO/DI system and has been performing flawlessly since I got it. They build the unit specifically for each order and test them. Their customer service and help via this board has been great. It took about a week and a half to get my unit from them.

Because I rent I just hook mine directly up to my kitchen faucet and make 10g of water each week. It takes me about 3.5 hours to do so and I'm all set for the week. All water I have made tests out to 0 TDS. The unit comes with a 3/4 hose adapter that connected right to my python adapter that I had pre-existing on my sink nozzle.

You mentioned you don't need a high gpd unit but remember how infectious this hobby is. If you end up upgrading to a larger tank you will wish you had spent the extra $50 to get the 90gpd unit. The $ you will be saving in gas and water from the LFS will quickly overcompensate for spending the extra now.

Don't forget the SpectraPure also has a pressure gauge, helpful in seeing if you're getting an optimal psi and letting you know when it's time to change out filters.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    1 person likes this.