Which controller is most compatible with your LED's

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by LoJack, Sep 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

That is a mil$ question. If you are familiar with coding, go with RA since its based on open source program. They seem to have a great supportive community as well.

2. Click Here!

3. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

To be honest I haven't used either over a tank, we've played with the Reef Angel for our lights in general but haven't used either unit for all the other features (ie. pH, temp, etc) so we're probably not the best source to comment on that.

4. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I have no experience with controllers at all. I need something that is user friendly for sure.

The reefangel seemed like the advanced user type controller when I did my reading on controllers.

The Apex is also compatible with my vortechs ...

I'm thinking I may just need to invest in the new drivers ... and try to sell the old ones.

Man is it ever a pain to set the SVR2 though lol ... hooking them up in series and getting the reading ... not difficult, but so time consuming

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I was exactly in the same boat when I was reading up on controllers. I got my mind fixed on Apex first before I ordered LED from Mike@Rapid :) Now I gotta get a hold of a VDM since I got the Lite.

Well I think RA has a module to control VorTechs.

It might be a shorter route in a long run..

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

The reef angel is plug and play to monitor pH, control heater (you set the temp on the controller), wavemaker for 2 pumps (you set the duration on the controller), ATO (set the max pump run time on the controller), lights (set on/off times on the controller, refugium light comes on when daylights turn off), and can even set PWM signal right from the controller, without touching a computer.

You only need to get into coding for more advanced features. The forum is extremely helpful and will help you to code anything you need (in fact just tell them what you need and they will provide the code!). If you have a good computer background, it is actually quite easy once you get into it.