Which combination of T5's work best?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by marlinman, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Just looking at the pic it looks like you have a fairly high bio load.... Just a thought, I have 8x80 watts on my 180 and knock on wood have no algal issues to date, but I am a fan of small feedings and frequent water changes.

The bulbs I use are Gieseman, 3 Aquablue+, 3Actinic+ and 2 6700k, not as blue as I would like but the growth is good. I am buying a quantum meter shortly so I will compare with bulb combo with a more even blue/white combo.

Tangster, you sure love those UVL bulbs huh? I can see why you love them from a retail point but as a hobbyist it is odd as most resources, bulb tests and manufactors don't highly recommend them, esp to the point you do? Any reason why you like them so much, aside from the internal reflector I have honestly never heard good things about!

Happy lighting!!

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Corallines algae and corals love the mix and green alga's and phytoplankton's do not ..Thats the real bonus

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes well I have used URI for many many yrs and they are far more advanced with their mixtures of Phosphors and earth elements and gases then any one Giesemann I would not give you a 1.00 for a dozen I never base my advice or opinions of what I have or someone tells me I pass on only what I know and having been in the electrical business for many yrs and working with many lighting architects design engineers and what they use for specialty lighting needs URI/UVL is always what they demanded from dentist office to operating rooms to sun tanning beds . Not aquarium grade hobby grade non liable stuff . Until UVL brought this line of bulb out I would have not given a plug nickel for any T5's I'd have 20 Giesemanns or G.E star coats and as many APIs in the shop and ordered UVL for my stuff . They cost a bit more because they are worth it and if you ever tried them you'd know from experience and not from a sponsored article opinion .. Its free advive people can take it for what its worth..

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Without going into a debate, wholesale wise, UVL are significantly cheaper than Gman or even Coralvue, at least in every wholesale price sheet I have seen. And why would reps of companies that sell both bulbs recommend one over the other more often than not? That would be cannabilizing their own sales....
    If you have used them with success great!! Now all we need to do is an experiment with UVL vs ATI or GMan or Coralvue side by side and see who pulls ahead!! Would be a fun experiment!!

Happy light debating!

1 person likes this.
  6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

I think you just started one :lol:

1 person likes this.
  7. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I have been trying to figure out what combo of T5's to use for my 8x54 for my 48x24 120g reef tank with mostly softies and a few hard corals. I finally sent an email via reefcentral to grim reefer and this is what he has come up with from front to rear.

ATI Blue Plus (450mn pure blue)
    GE 6500K Day Light
    UVL 75/25 (14K)
    ATI Blue Plus
    UVL Aquasun (10K pink)
    ATI Blue Plus
    ATI Aquablue (12K)
    ATI Blue Plus

The idea here is to accent and bring out the various colors of the corals. The unit I bought came with generic 4 Blue Actinics 420mn, these bulbs are not true blue but have a purple tinge to them. The 450/460mn are true blue. I'm learning on the job here so I just wanted to pass down this information. They do like the ATI fixtures and bulbs along with the UVL bulbs but they just have their own preferences as to which ones for where and what type of corals you have. I personally don't know the differences but I'm learning. I ordered the GE, aquasun and aquablue from reefgeek. I saw the UVL 75/25 at my LFS in a closeout bin for half price so I'm getting that tomorrow. I'm going to put them in and see what it looks like and then if I'm pleased I'll order the 4 ATI blue plus. Anyway, just a point of information.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Let me know how you like that combo.

10. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I changed my mind and called reefgeek and ordered the 4 ATI Blue Plus. I might as well get the true look. I'll let you know what it looks like when I install them.

1 person likes this.
  11. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Thanks, some pics would be great too!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  12. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I will take some pictures when I get it setup.:)