which clam should I get?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by starfish2217, Jul 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

One other thing I just realized is that b/c you have a small tank, I think the squamosa and Derasa are out as they get very large (think 2-3') relatively quickly. A crocea or maxima could fit in there, but those are some of the most sensitive clams and most light demanding.

2. Click Here!

3. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

They are the 10,000 K 24 watt coralife bulbs. They are just the ones that come with the Bio cube system. I just replaced both of them.. One of my friends in the hobby said it should be a sufficient enough source of light. But them again I obviously don't know anything because I suck at this hobby. But I am trying my hardest.

4. starfish2217

I just suck at this. Should a place clams higher up in the tank so they get enough lighting. The one I had did fine for quite some time then it just started going down hill.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I'm pretty sure nobody is saying you "suck" at this hobby. It sounds to me that you have T5 or PC lighting, which at that amount is not ideal for a crocea or maxima clam. Clams generally do not die quickly, but slowly decline over time. It sounds like that is what happened to your old one.

All I am doing is trying to provide you with the best advice possible, even if it's not exactly what you want to hear. IMO, I don't think you or your tank are ready for a clam at this time. Do some more research, practice good husbandry and maintenance and in time you will be up to the challenge.

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

What are your parameters? Clams need the tank to be balanced as they use Calcium to build their shell just like SPS and LPS use it to build their skeleton. If your parameters are out whack it will cause clams to go south quick.

7. starfish2217

That was the first thing I checked after it went. My calcium levels were near perfect :/ I think the nitrates were just to ridiculously high. they were at 160ppm when I tested it.

8. Click Here!

9. starfish2217

Haha thanks, I am trying my hardest and none of it offends me thats why I am here is to get help. I think your right I should hold off and maintain a steady tank before I get one. I'll look more into the lighting, what lighting would be good enough for one to live happily?

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Let me first begin by saying that you don't SUCK! Being a part of the aquarium hobby and SUCK are not part of the vocabulary that we all share. One may have more experience, knowledge and/or expertise than another aquarist, but remember, we all had to start at the beginning at one point in time. Don't put yourself down, beat yourself up or allow any other person to perform this abuse.
    Ok, now regarding your clam issue:
    Their is a very good book regarding the world of purchasing,and maintaining Tridacna Clams in an aquarium. It is called GIANT CLAMS IN THE SEA AND IN THE AQUARIUM by James Fatherree. You may want to add it to your personal library. Before this book was a book on clams by Daniel Knop simply called GIANT CLAMS published in 1996, If I am not mistaken.
    Clams are fascinating, beautiful and represent another dimension in the marine aquarium hobby. Their is a plethora of colors and patterns that coincide with the four main clam species. Crocea, Maxima, Derasa and Squamosa. T. Teveroa and Hippopus sp. are seldem seen in the hobby.
    Clams feed primarily through the zooanthellae(single celled dinoflaggelate protozoa) that reside in the tissue of corals. The zooxanthellae captures full-spectrum light from the sun and artificial lights we incorporate over our aquariums. These animals provide carbon sources such as glucose, glycerol and amino acids to clams through the process of photosynthesis much in the same way as trees and plants do. In return for this, clams provide these eukaryotic protozoa with shelter and a home.
    Clams feed on phytoplankton and zooplankton to a lesser degree. They are also filter feeders, feeding on nitrates in water, similar to sponges and tunicates, especially.
    The species of clam you choose should be given careful consideration to not only water parameters but lighting, initial health, water movement, place of origin, other livestock presently in your aquarium and that possibly added at a future point in time and filtration. Without careful observance of these variables, the likelihood of you maintaining one of these beauties diminishes drastically.
    Do your research and take the time contemplating whether or not this is truly for you and moreover, whether or not your aquarium can support these animals.
    Good luck,
    Be conscientious and consider the husbandry and compatability requirements of each species of clam since they do vary...

12. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

i dont think 24 watt is going to cut it, but then again might work if your tank is around 20 gallon, but then again only thing you will be support squomsa and derasa which will outgrow your tank later. Same for me too, but I keep squamosa under PC lighting and just waiting untill it grows out. Temporary enjoyment i guess