Which ATO is a full set?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by bigdookie, Mar 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigdookie

bigdookie Astrea Snail

I started looking into controllers and I feel like I am in a never ending black hole of things I need to buy! LOL.

The Reef Angel looks decently priced, however now I'm stick with the battle of Apex vs Reef Angel. I'm not a huge DIY person (or at least for this project) and from what I've read, the reef angel kind of requires more than the Apex to get going?

However the Apex comes pretty ready to go out the box... but its a heck of a lot more expensive. JEEZE!!

I've got some gadgets laying around that I am going to try and sell. If I can knock them of... I'll spring for the Apex I think. Hopefully I can get one used for a good price locally or online.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Actually the Reef Angel is setup ready to go as well out of the box. Just follow the install instructions, and all you need to do is enter in the info you want into the controller head unit (such as lighting on/off, ATO settings, wavemaker settings, heater temp, etc). You only need to break out the computer if you want to make any changes to the program.

4. bigdookie

bigdookie Astrea Snail

Damn you Marshall... just when I thought I had my mind all made up!!! :cry:

Do you currently own the Reef Angel? I maybe talking out of my ass here... but from what I've read, the Apex requires you to buy a "break out" box so you can add pumps to the system?

However, with the Reef Angel, I just need the Aqualifter and I'm ready to rock?

5. Brando457

Brando457 Plankton

Avast marine has a $200 unit with pump that I'll be getting to replace my jbj with. Their pump is unique in that it won't start a siphon if your reservoir is higher than your sump.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I actually own 2 ;) One for my 55, and one for my 28. Well the only thing you have to do is buy a length (10') of 22 or 24 gauge 2 pair wire from Home Depot or wherever. You just need to wire the floats to the ends that plug into the controller. Other than that, all you need to do is follow the setup instructions, plug everything into the correct outlets (including the Aqualifter, assuming it will not need to pump over 30"), and you are all set! You would want to get some pH calibration (7.0 & 10.0) as well, as you would with any pH meter.

7. bigdookie

bigdookie Astrea Snail

marshall, don't be surprised if I pm you to come to my house and set thins darn thing up! lol

i just looked at some youtube videos for the RE and it appears you need to actually "program" it... but not in the same way you would a cable remote! ;D

i'm going to see if i can find a used unit at a good price, but i might have to save up and get the apex unit. :(

if i sell this tablet i've got laying around i'll buy the apex :D

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

You only need to program it if you want to customize it. See my post above for what it does out of the box with no programming ;)