which additives should I use

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by tinctorus, Feb 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Which additives should I use

Poll closed Apr 9, 2012.
  1. B-Ionic 2 part ONLY

57.1%
  2. 2 part PLUS Iodine and magnesium

28.6%
  3. Stick with the brightwell stuff even though it costs a fortune

14.3%
  1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

You should really give Kalk+2 a try contains everything you need and you can test for everything. you can dose it with your ATO also

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

BRS 3 part if you don't have a calcium reactor or feed kalk. I prefer the calcium reactor but when it is out of service the 3 part is a great product if you don't mind the regimen of dosing.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I think I am going to order the BRS stuff on my next paycheck since it comes with everything that needs to be dosed

5. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Question, Since I am going to be ordering the BRS 2 part/3 part should I use dosing pumps or would I be ok just adding them everyday on my own as long as I get the proper amounts and add them during different times of the day like I am supposed to??

Keep in mind I WILL eventually be ordering a dosing pump, something like the bubble magus dosing pump that does 3 different chemicals at different times "I may just oder the one from aquastyleonline since thats just a bubble magus with a different sticker and considerably less money

I dont have the funds right now to buy the dosing pump which is why I want to know if adding them on my own would be ok for now?

The reason I dont have the money is 2 fold
    1) I just started working after a year of having to take off of work to take care of my dad who has lung cancer "IT IS IN REMISSION THOUGH RIGHT NOW THANK GOD!!!!"

2) I am also going to be adding a reefkeeper lite but the higher end lite version and I want to save up my money so that I can purchase the reefkeeper AND the dosing pumps at the same time

FWIW if you havent seen them this is the bubble magus which is priced at 299.99 from BRS

Bubble Magus Dosing Pump BM-T01 - English
    [​IMG]

And this is the one from aquastyleonline.com which is 219.99
    Aquarium dosing pump system reef doser Kamoer triple dosing pump

[​IMG]

As you can see they are the EXACT same dosing pumps with a different label, but all of the buttons, size and EVERYTHING is exactly the same

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  6. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

it only has like .14% magnesium. Has 10x the Strontium (1%). Still need to dose Mag separately. The mag is just to support the calcium.

You'll be fine without it while you dial in how much your system needs day to day. Once you figure out that then you will get bothered enough with having to measure out all the time and get the dosing pump.

And you are correct about the pumps being exactly the same.

7. mrstihl

mrstihl Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

None of the above.

Since you are going along the lines of 2 part then dose:

Calcium Chloride
    Sodium carb or bicarb, your preference
    a blend of magnesium chloride and sulfate
    and if you must chealated iron

Everything else is a waste of money.

8. Click Here!

9. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I went with the B-Ionic 2 part and I LOVE it, I also started vinegar dosing at the same time and I have to be honest my tank has NEVER LOOKED BETTER!!!

In just 1 month my coralline algae growth has EXPLODED and the colors/growth on my corals are amazing, my duncan coral has added 4 new polyps, my star polyps have encrusted about a 1/2 inch onto the rock next to them, my frogspawn has split into 2 heads and my zoas have all added between 3-4 polyps!!!

So to anyone interested in doing a 2 part AND carbon dosing "vinegar OR vodka" DO IT!!! its WELL WORTH IT!!