Where/What to Buy

Discussion in 'Sand' started by tripnbili, Apr 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

So I'm about to purchase around 80lbs of sand for a new 75g build. I'm just wondering where and what kind of sand to buy.

I have a 20g where I used 20lbs of pre-packaged live sand. I realize it probably wasn't very "live," but I also didn't have to rinse it...I hate rinsing sand.

So I'm wondering where and what to buy?

I was going to get the bahama aragonite sand from marcorocks.com

Also, I will be breaking down the 20g and was thinking about using the existing sand for a DSB in the fuge on the 75g. My 20 has only been up for about 2 months...

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sugar grade aragonite is probably the best. If you have a petsmart nearby they could have it. I bought 3 30lbs bags of dry sand for $60.

4. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

ebay live sand is the way to go

5. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

Depends on one, if what you are keeping needs special sand and two, what you like the look of. Sand sifting creatures prefer finer sand. I personally use caribsea ocean direct original. It's sand with some bigger items like small shells and pebbles. Fairly white in color. Their web site has charts that list whether the particular sand is sifter safe, belly safe, burrow friendly, etc.

1 person likes this.
  6. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

7. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster

I'm thinking a finer sand. I remember last time I bought some, somebody sent a link to a site with a great sale on live sand. Anyone know of any?

8. Click Here!

9. tripnbili

tripnbili Feather Duster