where to place Grape Monti Cap (LED accl.?)

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Kevin_E, Jul 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

So how long should I keep it on the sand bed? I will be slowly increasing my dimmers on my LEDs each week until I get to about 50% output (seems to be what most keep their's set at). Should I keep it on the sand bed until I have my lights to the 50% output and then move him to the spot in which I would like him to be at?

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Question on an acclimation thought: What are other's opinions on a shortened photo period (say 4 hours instead of my usual 12) at the intensity that you are shooting for (say 60% blue, 50% white) for acclimation as opposed to a typical photo period (8-12 hours) at a reduced intensity (say 20% blue/white)?

4. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Why shorten the photoperiod? Dim it down, and add 5% a week till you are happy.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Not sure, just thinking out loud. It's what people used to do when switching from t-5 to Halides for example.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Either way will work, but if you have dimmer controls why change your light period?

7. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Well, they couldn't dim halides or t5s. Dim it, and your corals will be just fine. Believe me, I've done it a dozen times