Where to Get Live Rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by szaijan, Jun 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

PA Excellent!

New to 3reef. I'm setting up a 60 gal hex and checked in last night for live rock advice. I ordered 80Lbs today. 40 Kaelini Tonga Ultra Show Live Rock - Fully Cured and 40 Premium Fiji Cured Live Rock . They called me back to let me know they didn't have enough of either cured and that they wanted to be sure what they were sending was top quality! Thanks for the direction. Its great to see peaople take real pride in their business and reputation! First class.

2. Click Here!

3. gawlowski

gawlowski Astrea Snail

Curing live rock

Another question... the book I have on setting up a reef tank, "The New Marine Aquarium" - Michael S. Paletta, 2001, says that I should add the live sand only AFTER curing live rock in the tank for a few days or weeks. Paletta claims that this makes the job of cleaning up after die oof much easier. He recommends this even if using "fully cured" live rock.

What do others here think of this? It seems the die off would accelerate the ammonia spike in much the way pieces of frozen shrimp do. Am I missing something? Is there a toxicity issue?[/QUOTE]

I would cure my rock in a plastic garbage can with a powerhead and a heater. The amount of die-off from live rock that gets shipped to you is sickening. Even when some places say their rock is "cured", it should still be cured by you. If you don't pick the rock out of a tank, it probably needs to be cured.
    Make sure you change the water every few days. The water starts taking on a yellowish tint and may smell in some cases. Keep changing the water until those conditions diappear.

4. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

another idea would be to cure the rock in a closed off area such as your garage. sometimes different types of rock can put off some pretty foul odor while curing...you don't really want that smell inside of your house.

5. CyberGuy

CyberGuy Plankton

Wouldn't curing live rocks kill all the good hitch hikers if it is put in an enclosed container?

Shouldn't I give it light or water flow for oxygenation?

6. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

i'd go for premium aquatics as well...i'm using their "nano rock" and love it...
    they also have a great online, instant customer support feature...the guys at PA were able to give me quotes right then and there...

7. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

That's a fact. I got 18+# LR tonga from a LFS for a friends tank I maintain that needed curing. I cured it in my hobby room and the stink for 2 weeks made it almost impossible to stay in there for too long.
    And then again I later got 30# from the same LFS, tonga-different batch, that had as much die-off, but not near the smell.

8. Click Here!

9. icdpride

icdpride Plankton

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

premium fiji rock is usually the best for the money,you pay more for most other rock.the biggest difference in most lr is shape.$5 a lb. or less is what you should look for.

12. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

Omg!!!!

I would read laws around where you live before doing a rock dive!!