Where to Get Live Rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by szaijan, Jun 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. szaijan

szaijan Astrea Snail

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1087425669;start=0#9 date=06/17/04 at 18:00:20]Can't really answer until we know how big your tank is. It would be great to add your tank description to your signature. TIA[/quote]

Du'Oh! My tank is a 47 gallon bow front All-Glass... 36" long and 20" high. I will add curent specs to my sig.

2. Click Here!

3. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

4. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I think they've fixed it where you are required to be member to enter their site so nevermind.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

You'll need 60 - 70 lbs of LR. Get a good mix of large, medium , and small pieces. You can always break larger pieces with a hammer if needed.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hiya szaijan,

Some "live rock" tips in new "Advanced Aquarist" link i posted on earlier...

Live Rock Selection Tips (AdvancedAquarist - June 04)

Here is a good one, esp. for smaller tanks....

"...I would reccomend that you purchase half or one quarter of the suggested lbs. per gallon, unless your planning on stocking your tank with only frags. Remember that most corals you buy are already attached to rocks. There's nothing worse than taking out rock you paid $10/lb for and having to put it in your sump to make room for your new coral..."

Omar

7. szaijan

szaijan Astrea Snail

All the help has been really great. Thank you.

Another question... the book I have on setting up a reef tank, "The New Marine Aquarium" - Michael S. Paletta, 2001, says that I should add the live sand only AFTER curing live rock in the tank for a few days or weeks. Paletta claims that this makes the job of cleaning up after die oof much easier. He recommends this even if using "fully cured" live rock.

What do others here think of this? It seems the die off would accelerate the ammonia spike in much the way pieces of frozen shrimp do. Am I missing something? Is there a toxicity issue?

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

You never argue with Paletta. Just look at his results, eh!

10. Reefer Madness

Reefer Madness Astrea Snail

i have a question about live rock.

i live in miami florida close to the ocean. So if i where to go out on a boat and dive into the water pick up a couple of live rock would i be able to put that into my tank as live rock. or do i have to cure it

11. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

As long as you go out past the 12 mile point ( live rock collection in florida is illegal ) :)
    Keep it covered in a bucket of water and you will not have to cure it. There will be some stuff that will not survive in the aquarium. (some sponges)

Jim

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  12. Reefer Madness

Reefer Madness Astrea Snail